well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ann Coulter on Bill Maher

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ann Coulter on Bill Maher
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
You have to watch this. Seriously. I burst out laughing several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzBYxqtJSqc

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I watched the whole thing, although at times it was hard to hear over the clanging of my BS alarm.

She says she cares oh-so-very-much about the American worker who is being hurt by immigration. Wow. Just wow.

She also says the way to defeat Trump is not linking him to Russia. It's to hold him accountable for not getting the wall.

Nope, wrong. All he has to do to make the wall issue disappear as an issue on the right is declare a national emergency, which he will do on Feb. 15.

If you ask me, Trump is playing the immigration issue all wrong. Most people do not go to sleep at night worried that the landscaping crew next door will murder their children.

People are concerned about falling wages, however. So all Trump has to do is shift his focus to "Immigrants are taking our jobs!" and he wins with his base again.

As an aside, I have a friend who owns a plumbing company with her husband. She says it is nigh on impossible to find enough licensed plumbers who can work for them. So she takes on untrained people, trains them, and watches them bolt as soon as they are licensed.

I don't know what you do about that. I don't understand how we can have a labor shortage, full employment, and stagnant wages.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
So she takes on untrained people, trains them, and watches them bolt as soon as they are licensed.

Because she doesn't raise their pay high enough to make it worth their while to stay.

I see this all the time.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I think the math would be easy enough: figure out how much it costs to find, hire, and train a new plumber (electrician, drywaller, tile setter, you-name-it). Divide that by 1040. Add that to the hourly rate she offers someone when they are trained and ask if that's enough to get them to stay at least two years. If so, she just got a free year of not having to find, hire, and train someone.

Knowing nothing else about the situation, I would also offer that there are things other than money that entice employees to stay.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
So she takes on untrained people, trains them, and watches them bolt as soon as they are licensed.

Because she doesn't raise their pay high enough to make it worth their while to stay.

I see this all the time.
well, yeah. If she could pay more, I assume she would.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I think the math would be easy enough: figure out how much it costs to find, hire, and train a new plumber (electrician, drywaller, tile setter, you-name-it). Divide that by 1040. Add that to the hourly rate she offers someone when they are trained and ask if that's enough to get them to stay at least two years. If so, she just got a free year of not having to find, hire, and train someone.

Knowing nothing else about the situation, I would also offer that there are things other than money that entice employees to stay.

Depending on the state and on state law, that may or may not be enforceable, they decide just to walk away.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post