well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    At 71, she never felt pain - or anxiety or depression

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At 71, she never felt pain - or anxiety or depression
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Now she's being studied, and a gene change has been identified.

Perhaps the knowledge she yields will help with treatments for both emotional and physical pain.

I couldn't help wondering after processing the article, whether she can experience pleasure, too - at least, the physical kind. Orgasm? Eating? (She has the figure of a twenty year old, although her face is aged. In fact, she seems to be missing teeth - related to her pain insensitivit?)

But then pain and pleasure receptors are different in nerve endings. But the emotional angle - that's most intriguing to me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...icks&pgtype=Homepage

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to reading about her case. I’ve read that most people who can’t feel pain die young.

One of my friends on FB posted this with the comment ‘I’ll have what she’s having’. Funny line and all, but it’s worth noting that the evolutionary purpose of both pain and emotions is to motivate us and the ways they do so must have been highly adaptive.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
it’s worth noting that the evolutionary purpose of both pain and emotions is to motivate us and the ways they do so must have been highly adaptive.

This. I saw a program on Japanese tv about a child who never felt pain, and the parents had a very hard time ensuring that the child was ok, wasn't injured, didn't have a broken bone undiscovered, was healthy etc. So yes, pain, as "painful" as it is (sorry), serves a lot of purposes!

I haven't read the article yet though, will do that today.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Perhaps the knowledge she yields will help with treatments for both emotional and physical pain.

I hope so.

We have a family member who suffers from MS. I can't imagine how wonderful it would be if they came up with a gene splice procedure to manage her pain.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post