well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Keep your fingers crossed on April 9 (Edited)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keep your fingers crossed on April 9 (Edited)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
A decent centrist opposition with a reasonable chance of winning has formed against Netanyahu.

The new "Blue-White" party founded late last year has been steadily morphing into a real challenge.

Actually, there are two candidates (they say they'd lead together in their coalition system), serving alternatively as Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, cooperatively. Given their complementary backgrounds they'd hopefully be all the more able to beat Netanyahu. Sounds much like putting together a contest against Trump if we could pull off such a maneuver (see NYTimes article describing the candidates and their backgrounds. They compare it to getting Colin Powell and Joe Biden to run together! Big Grin ).

quote:
Benny Gantz, a former chief of staff of the army and a political rookie, and Yair Lapid, a former journalist and finance minister, came together to form Blue and White. (Mr. Gantz would serve as prime minister first, with Mr. Lapid as foreign minister.) The centrist party is named after the colors of the flag;

Since understandably, Israel's primary focus is national security (unlike here, unless you think Palestinian terrorists compare to the alleged Mexican threat), Netanyahu stayed in power because he was the only leader who seemed "strong" enough to protect the nation, however much he aroused disgust among so many. Now we have challengers to him who seem at least as able to make them feel safe - and hopefully also improve Israel's reputation, so muddied under Netanyahu.

Wish I could afford to fly back like some citizens just to vote in the election. It's not only the airfare cost, but knowing hotels will be jammed and besides I need extra assistance ($$) on account of my back.

Can this man oust Netanyahu?

PS Note that when Lapid commented favorably about Trump it's entirely a matter of Jerusalem. He chose his words carefully.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see Bibi outta there.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'd love to see Bibi outta there.

So would a GREAT many - including Israelis.

That's why they're flying back from the US just to vote, since Israel doesn't allow absentee ballots.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post