well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Good value Scotch
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good value Scotch
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Pretty full-bodied, rich and tasty and only $30 ( locally)! A bottling from Tomintoul named TLATH. No age statement, but no matter, it’s really good.

Honorable mention: Aberfeldy 12 at $40.

Neither one is peaty.

I’m not drinking these days because I’m taking pain medicine. But I recall these fondly.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Pretty full-bodied, rich and tasty and only $30 ( locally)! A bottling from Tomintoul named TLATH. No age statement, but no matter, it’s really good.

Neither one is peaty.

I’m not drinking these days because I’m taking pain medicine. But I recall these fondly.
I think I’ve had Aberfeldy. But if it wasn’t peaty, it didn’t stick too firmly in my memory. I’m more an Islay and Spey guy.

One not-very-peaty that I remember fondly, though was Glen Moray. It was like drinking butter. Smooooooth.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I guess I favor the non-peaty ones somewhat, but love some of the peaty now & then. Maybe 70/30%.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
How do you feel about Irish whisky?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I like the unblended ones but they are so expensive! Green Spot, Redbreast. I used to like Black Bush but feel it’s not as good as it used to be. What do you like? I’m not averse to trying blended.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

Neither one is peaty.

I think I’ve had Aberfeldy. But if it wasn’t peaty, it didn’t stick too firmly in my memory. I’m more an Islay and Spey guy.

One not-very-peaty that I remember fondly, though was Glen Moray. It was like drinking butter. Smooooooth.
Which Glen Moray was it, do you remember?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
No. It was like 25 years ago, but I still remember the experience. Might have been about 10 or 12 years old, I’m guessing. And that was back before Scotch makers they did all these different finishes. It was basically “here’s our Scotch, have a nice day”.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Huh. Glen Moray is a Speyside, but I don’t remember it being overly smoky or peaty. Go figger.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
For Irish, I just buy whatever is on sale. Usually Bushmills, which I prefer, or Jamesons which is fine. I did go through a Black Bush phase a few decades ago, but I haven’t had it in a long time. When the state closed their stores and grocery stores started selling booze, I never saw it. BevMo usually has a pathetic selection of Scotch and Irish — they seem to carry only what is most heavily advertised.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Glen Moray now has a boatload of different offerings.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I personally do not like the sherry cask thing. I don’t want my scotch to taste like sherry! And there are so many like that. You really have to read the label. Different strokes, I suppose.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I read their regular classic is aged in bourbon barrels.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Actually, traditionally, most Scotches were aged in Oloroso sherry casks from Spain. I have seen many now go for American bourbon casks.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I still say when it comes to value, your best bet are vatted malts, aka pure malt. A vatted malt is a blend, but only of malt whiskies. A “blend” can be up to 50% grain neutral spirits, in other words, vodka or everclear. Old Sheep Dip is a good pure malt.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Irrelevant I know, but every time I so much as hear the word "Scotch", I retch. Among other motley purchases ("Golddust"?) my high school room-mate and I got violently drunk - and sick - drinking one night. A first and pretty much, last time.

The one scotch (Vat 69") figured prominently.
(irresistable Barf )

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post