well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Costco Report

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Costco Report
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I don't know what time they are actually opening the doors. They announced hours for seniors and other high-risk people from 8:00 to 9:00. They normally open at 10:00. I got there about 9:45 and they were letting people in, but slowly.

When I arrived, the line was the entire length of the building, then another 50 feet or so through the parking lot and out to the sidewalk. This kept people from getting into the parking lot. When I finally got in and parked, the line was about 3/4 the length of the building. Employees were telling people to go to the back of the line if they appeared to be cutting in.

They were not handing out tickets for paper products, but it was still one per customer. They had TP, but no paper towels and no Kleenex. I got a case of the Costco brand tissues. We'll see how that goes. There was one guy moving very slowly toward the paper products. Two or three other customers decided to pass him and an employee told them to get back into their original places in line.

The pasta was low, but not out. Mercifully, they had parmesan cheese again.

They still had only one pallet of tomatoes. Plenty of power greens (although with a use-by date of April 4). Plenty of cucumbers. Good. I can keep eating salads for the next week or so.

The normal selection and quantity of bread was in place.

There were no Cheez-its. I think that was the only thing on my list that I didn't get.

They were doing a decent job of managing the check-out lines. They kept people six feet apart and you were admonished not to start unloading your cart until the belt was empty. And you had to hold your card for the cashier to scan, then grab your own receipt from the printer. They have a Plexiglas panel between you and the cashier. It's like the world is a buffet and we all have sneeze guards.

The receipt-checker at the door was also in a Plexiglas cage with a slot sort of like a movie theater cashier... you slid your receipt in the slot, she looked at your cart, then you had to hang on to the end of the receipt for her to run the sharpie down it.

In all, I think they are doing a very good job under the circumstances.

Again, I hit the grocery store for a few things we don't need in Costco quantities.

They were out of Campbell's Tomato Soup. I got the Kroger brand. Same with Van de Kamp baked beans. Got the store brand. I hope they are okay. They had the chili Mrs. pj likes, so I got a half a dozen cans.

I had called my neighbor this morning to ask if she needed anything. She said her son had picked up groceries, but the store he went to was out of flour. I told her that's the case all over, but I'd look. Remarkably, there were about a dozen bags. I called her from the store to ask if she wanted a 5-pound or a 10-pound bag. She asked for ten. Done. And I got her a few more cans of cat food since it was still on sale.

Hamburger was on sale so I got two pounds. We're making meatballs tonight.

When I got home, I stripped into the washing machine, took a shower, then went out and wiped everything down with bleach (1 part bleach to 5 parts water) before bringing it into the house. That actually went a lot faster then I expected.

I am trying to limit trips out to one a week at most. Next Monday I have a doctor's appointment. That will be my next outing.

We could probably go a month without buying groceries again. But I only have a week's worth of fresh veg.

We have a year's worth of pasta at our normal consumption rate. But this past month has been anything but normal.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I ended up at a Gelsons Market - they're like Whole Foods markets.

This is where to go to get stuff as long as you don't care what it costs. Place was mobbed but they had everything - even TP. I even found bleach. Everyone was doing a good job of staying apart and various employees were wiping things down all over.

People were being super nice to the employees. I liked that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah... at Costco everyone was thanking the employees at every opportunity.

Especially the ones that were keeping people (literally) in line.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post