well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Building a stereo...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a stereo...
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Complete and error free! Did the power-off tests. PASSED, Did the first power-on test. These are always filled with a certain level of anxiety about seeing smoke, etc. It PASSED all tests.

I christened it with some Miles Davis. It sounds very clean. Even when I cranked it up to 11! Big Grin

Very pleased with the quality of this kit. I am off to order the pre-amp kit...

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
And as a bonus, the name is a palindrome.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How does it sound?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Right away I noticed a wider and deeper sound stage. While I was listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon, I heard things to my immediate right and left (almost like peripheral hearing) and I was seated 15 feet or more in front of the speakers. The Sony AV Receiver does not have such a full sound stage. The clarity of the mid range frequencies, is very impressive and the highs are well defined without being harsh.

I experienced no listening fatigue and we listened to three albums in a row starting with The Beatles, Rubber Soul, Pink Floyd, Dark Side of The Moon, and Crosby Stills and Nash (CSN album).

I will get one more album in before quiet time around here. I'm still making up my mind which one to spin...

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'd add the Beach Boys "Surfs Up" album or some ELO to that rotation, but that's just me.

[edit] Stephen Stills "Manassas" album also.

Too.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
It should sound even better in a couple of weeks after it's burned in a bit. Thatp's even more true for new speakers. It takes a bit of time. I remember buying a high end set of speakers and being hugely disappointed with how they sounded out of the box - until I remembered they needed some break-in time.

Congratulations on the new adventure.

Millennials aren't into audio the way we are. And women aren't into it either even as they have better hearing - and at least, an equal interest in music. It's a "guy thing."

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Probably too late, but I suggest Pretzel Logic, 461 Ocean Blvd, then Thick as a Brick.

Solitude Standing is also one of my faves for exploring amps and speakers.

Then Emil Gilels Scarlatti album, then Susana Ruzickova playing the Bach keyboard sonatas, maybe some Geminiani or Telemann after that.

You’re welcome.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I found this at the local used record shop for $2. The image is from the reel to reel tape version. Discogs doesn't even list this on vinyl.

I cleaned it once. It sounds OK. I think I can get it to sound better with a deeper cleaning. I listened to it on the new amplifier tonight. Despite 56+ years it sounds wonderful. It does have a noticeable noise floor even through the clicks and pops of the dirty grooves.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I know you’ve recently discovered vinyl, but I’d like to hear a review of the sound produced by your new amp on vinyl vs. a modern audio source. Seems to me you should hear a distinct difference.

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I'm dusting off the CD changer as we speak...

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Probably too late, but I suggest Pretzel Logic, 461 Ocean Blvd, then Thick as a Brick.

Then Emil Gilels Scarlatti album, then Susana Ruzickova playing the Bach keyboard sonatas, maybe some Geminiani or Telemann after that.

You’re welcome.

Thick as a Brick was my first LP purchase...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My first LP purchase were used copies of Hey Jude and Abbey Road. One of them was a first pressing. I still have it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

You’re welcome.

Thick as a Brick was my first LP purchase...

My best friend at the time, bought Thick as a Brick for me for my 11th birthday. It was the 8 track. We were confused and thought they had misprinted the label because every track had the same song! lol