well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Favorite book, movies, and music from 2018

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite book, movies, and music from 2018
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Books you read in 2018, regardless of when they were published...

non-fiction book: Yuval Noah Harari's Homo Deus

memoir: Orwell's Homage to Catalonia (yeah, I know that's non-fiction too, but I wanted to list them both)

fiction: Orwell's Burmese Days (not many to choose from in this category)

movie: They Shall Not Grow Old (again not many to choose from)

music learned or played: Bach/Brahms Chaconne for the left hand

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I am unable to come up with categories, so I’m just going to list my faves...

The Night Diary - young adult (though didn’t feel like it) historical fiction about the creation of Pakistan and it’s impact on a family

Scythe - another young adult novel about futuristic society where science has conquered death and how they solve the problem of overpopulation

Record of a Spaceborn Few - the final book in a stunning sci-fi trilogy. I need to go back and reread the first two. I can’t recommend this trilogy highly enough.

Movies - I feel like I’ve seen a lot of crappy movies this year. However, a few days ago I watched Birdbox on Netflix and I feel it was worth the hype.

Series - The Haunting of Hill House - the last episode was horrible. Other than that, it was phenomenal (and super scary).

I need to do more reading this year. I miss audiobooks, but my current commute is more suited to podcasts.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Favorite series was the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Favorite book (I didn't read many) was The Hate U Give.

I suppose my favorite movie was Bohemian Rhapsody. Sorry, I cannot call They Shall Not Grow Old my favorite anything, even though it was great.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

I suppose my favorite movie was Bohemian Rhapsody. Sorry, I cannot call They Shall Not Grow Old my favorite anything, even though it was great.

The Hate U Give was brilliant. I’m cautiously optimistic about the movie and the follow up book.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I haven't read that much this year, but that's OK. But I have thoroughly enjoyed "The Secret Lives of Color" by Kassia St. Clair. I also picked up several used gardening books at the used book store which have been wonderful to go through.

Favorite music: Seeing Passenger live in Brooklyn was a major highlight of the year for me. Phenomenal. He has a huge presence on stage and his music is so riveting. (And he's so handsome too.) Also hearing all 6 cello suites in one evening by French virtuoso Jean-Guihen Queyras was an amazing experience. Operatic really. The Debussy Preludes on piano, and Bach's 3rd Cello Suite are the highlights of my learning experience this year. The preludes are so rich, and the suite is gorgeous (and in the key of C which is ever so nice). Yo-yo Ma did a collaboration with Mark Morris some years back on this suite. Worth checking out if you've never seen it.

I haven't stepped foot in a movie theatre in decades. Which would surprise anyone who knew me in the late '80s because I was always at the movies back then (mostly vintage, classics, and art movies). But I started finding the movie theater experience too unpleasant starting at least a decade ago. Too loud, too cold, too much rudeness, too hyper.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Series: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Books: No fiction has caught me this year but two non fiction works did:

Isabella, Warrior Queen

Educated

Movies: I do not go often so I am selective and this was a good year for them.

The Favourite was amazing

Roma on Netflix

Liyana

And one close to my heart,

Bath Tubs Over Broadway

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I loved the haunting of hill house. I just finished watching vanity fair on amazon prime, it was fun.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Movie: “The Captain”. I posted a short synopsis and review of this movie a few months ago: http://well-temperedforum.grou...821072266#3821072266

Book: “The Wanting Seed” by Anthony Burgess, the same author as “A Clockwork Orange”. It’s a terrifying look at a future dystopia in which world overpopulation causes famine, artificial food, and wars without enemies. The book was easy to pick up and hard to put down. I’m surprised that a movie studio hasn’t made a movie from it.

Music: I can play Aerosmith’s song “Sweet Emotion” on the bass guitar.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

The Hate U Give was brilliant. I’m cautiously optimistic about the movie and the follow up book.

The movie didn't get great reviews. We thought it was good. It wasn't as good as the book, though.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, list of faves:

book: probably Educated, but I'm currently reading "There, There" and it's giving it a run for its money

music: Paul Schoenfield's "Four Parables," Natasha Paremski, pianist
Note: She is fantastic. Do NOT pass up an opportunity to see her perform. Smiler

movie: Get Out (I saw it in 2018 Big Grin )
Sorry to bother you

Biggest movie disappointment: Roma. Blergh.

TV series: The Crown (again, started watching in 2018)

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post