well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bernie's chances

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bernie's chances
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Suddenly, Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign is being taken seriously.

For months, the Vermont senator was written off by Democratic Party insiders as a candidate with a committed but narrow base who was too far left to win the primary. Elizabeth Warren had skyrocketed in the polls and seemed to be leaving him behind in the race to be progressive voters’ standard-bearer in 2020.

But in the past few weeks, something has changed. In private conversations and on social media, Democratic officials, political operatives and pundits are reconsidering Sanders’ chances.

“It may have been inevitable that eventually you would have two candidates representing each side of the ideological divide in the party. A lot of smart people I’ve talked to lately think there’s a very good chance those two end up being Biden and Sanders,” said David Brock, a longtime Hillary Clinton ally who founded a pro-Clinton super PAC in the 2016 campaign. “They’ve both proven to be very resilient.”

https://www.politico.com/news/...ion-president-089636

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37681 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah but has his polling really changed or does this just represent frustrated Warrenista politicos casting about for an alternative?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We have to bridge the gap between hard-core progressives and moderates. Someone is going to win the nomination, and one group or the other will be dissatisfied. We have to make sure the dissatisfied group doesn't pull a 2016. I don't know that I can take four more years of this nonsense.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I don't know that I can take four more years of this nonsense.

Not to worry. they'll quit having all the debates after the election.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13514 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
We have to bridge the gap between hard-core progressives and moderates. Someone is going to win the nomination, and one group or the other will be dissatisfied. We have to make sure the dissatisfied group doesn't pull a 2016. I don't know that I can take four more years of this nonsense.

I know I can't.

The hard core progressives will go to a third party candidate if they don't get Sanders or Warren. Of the two, at this point I'd prefer Sanders. Since the moderates hopefully have better sense than the extreme left, the best bet is to nominate Sanders and expect moderates to hold their noses and vote for him.

Not saying I like this, but it's the answer to the problem you pose.

From a sheer talent in leadership standpoint, I think Buttigieg is the best candidate.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post