well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Foraging for food in the suburbs

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foraging for food in the suburbs
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Look what I found on my walk yesterday:

There was one on the lawn that was broken off; the inside was hollow so I'm pretty sure it's an edible morel. However, I'm no mycologist and don't know any, so I'm not taking any chances.

But I'm gazing longingly whenever I pass by them....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’m no mycologist either, but can other mushrooms look like morels, or are they pretty distinctive?

On a related note, I read in an article that some mushroom enthusiasts have figured out how to grow morels “in captivity.” But it wasn’t easy.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13806 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, it's not that hard to tell them apart.

https://curativemushrooms.com/...morel-vs-false-morel

They grew all over the woods in Door County;. A friend who lived up there knew an experienced mushroom hunter and they would pick them when they popped up in May. I never had an opportunity to learn first hand from someone who knows mushrooms.

I'm just a scaredy cat.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Pick them! They are real morels. My daughter said we will take them! lol

Posts: 13633 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh boy...those people a few blocks from me where I saw the morels earlier in the week have a morel goldmine. They're coming up all over the lawn and even across the sidewalk in the parkway. I think I counted 50 or 60 mushrooms, at least.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Restaurants will pay good money for fresh morels.

Posts: 13633 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that goes mushroom hunting. One time, she picked the wrong one. She ended up high as ballz, and had to go to the ER.

I decided to let the store provide my mushrooms…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9796 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
HairRaising

quote:

New report sheds light on deaths from morel mushrooms

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...6a4dc2dd6ce20e&ei=52

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Look good to me.
When I lived in NW Missouri people went after mushrooms as if it was a sport.
I managed to get invited to a mushroom feast.
Fantastic!

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I have a friend that goes mushroom hunting. One time, she picked the wrong one. She ended up high as ballz, and had to go to the ER.

HairRaising

I know a lot of people who go mushrooming, they post about it on FB, share tips etc. I just can’t imagine taking the chance!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18409 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's very late for Morels. They're normally gone by May.

In any event, I think you are wise not to eat them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...49e991d0efb90b&ei=15

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13543 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sorry for any confusion. The original thread was from May 2022.

Mik, look up about three posts.... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Zombie thread.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13543 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I didn’t realize the original thread was from last y]ear either.

Nevertheless, the report from Montana that both WTG and Mik posted is disconcerting. When I think of people dying because of wild mushrooms, I don’t expect them to have been consumed in a restaurant.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18409 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post