well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Smartphone learning curve, continued

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smartphone learning curve, continued
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Experimented with the flashlight. It went on and stayed on despite my attempts to turn it off. Then the screen mysteriously went black, and a message appeared: Dialing 911. Fumbled with phone, tried to abort it by turning off phone, but call went through. Had to explain to operator that it was a smartphone mistake. Eventually flashlight turned itself off after about 20 minutes; screen lightened.

Roll Eyes

So embarrassing! Hope nobody died on my account.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
No harm, no foul.

Try new features tomorrow.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Is the flashlight icon on the bottom of your home screen? You can turn it on and off from there. It’s not just a tap; it requires a “force touch” or slightly harder press, I think so you don’t accidentally turn it on in your pocket.

The other place it lives is in the swipe down screen at the top right of your phone.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Well, yes, I know that now. But the screen was all black so I couldn't know what I was pressing.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Ah, and do you know how to wake up your screen? Mine wakes when I lift the phone, but I may have set it to do that. Or you could push the power button on the side.

I’m still learning all the fun things on my iPhone XS, and now the iOS 13 update has added a whole bunch of new things. I don’t know that I’d use all the bells and whistles, if what I’m doing works already.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it wakes when I lift it (I think it's face recognition) and sometimes I use the side button.

There are so many things I still need to learn. But I'm making progress...started inputting names & contact numbers into the phone today, also installed the hearing-aid app, which is pretty nice!