well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The better side of humanity stories

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The better side of humanity stories
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
I went to the grocery store this afternoon. As I was walking in I heard a woman yell to me from her car. I walked over and found an elderly woman and her husband. She cracked her window open a bit more, and explained to me nearly in tears that they are afraid to go in the store.

Afraid to get sick as they are in their 80’s and hear that the novel coronavirus is affecting older people disproportionately. And that they don’t have family around to help them out.

Through the crack in the window she handed me a $100 bill and a grocery list, and asked if I would be willing to buy her groceries.

I bought the groceries and placed them in her trunk, and gave her back the change. She told me she had been sitting in the car for nearly 45 min before I had arrived, waiting to ask the right person for help.

I know it’s a time of hysteria and nerves, but offer to help anyone you can. Not everyone has people to turn to.

https://twitter.com/rebecca_me.../1237891575897718791

CBS story with video:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/c...ing-oregon-outbreak/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. My neighbors are in their 80's.

I'll give them a call.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just seen on John King's show on CNN...

Mike Graham, owner of Jukebox Junction Restaurant and Soda Shoppe in Canton, NC was asked if he can survive not being open, and only providing carryout meals for the next couple of months or more.

He said is not charging the people who are getting food from him. He said he doesn't care what they do with the money they don't pay him, and that he will continue to feed the community for as long as he can get deliveries. He says he may go bankrupt, but the community has supported him for 17 years and now it's his turn.

He said "hi" to his Mom, whom he can't get to visit because of the virus. Big Grin

And then he launched into how the two sides need to stop playing politics and pull together and figure out how to manage this crisis.

I'll keep an eye posted for the video; I'm guessing it will go viral.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post