well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why Christians should dump Trump

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Christians should dump Trump
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
I spent years working for a conservative Christian organization. But I believe that supporting Trump damages the country—and Christianity, too.

It’s well known that conservative Christians are among Donald Trump’s strongest supporters. If all you knew about me was where I’ve worked, you’d probably assume that I’m in the Trump camp too.

I spent nearly three decades with social-conservative organizations, the lion’s share at one of the most prominent evangelical groups—Focus on the Family, founded by James Dobson. As a writer and sometime-editor, I worked for Focus for more than 20 years, first as a staffer (1997-2003), then as a regular contractor. Although most of what Focus does isn’t political, what I did was: I worked for the public-policy department, mainly for its magazine, Citizen (canceled in late 2018).

So yes, I’m a conservative Christian, albeit not an evangelical like most of my former colleagues. (I’m a Missouri Synod Lutheran—different theology, but similar views on many social issues.) Yes, I strongly support pro-life, pro-religious liberty causes. Yes, the Trump administration has done some things to help those causes—appointed some judges, taken some positions in court, enacted some executive-branch policies.

But no, I don’t support Donald Trump. Never have, never will. The price is far, far too high.

https://thebulwark.com/why-chr...s-should-dump-trump/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
At least two of his children were conceived while he was married to another woman. That should have been a start.

I don't see how any Christian now can turn away from I-1 that didn't reject him four years ago.

Although, he has now put three ultra-right-wing justices on the supreme court, and Roe v. Wade is as good as history. The Christians got what they wanted... the end of safe, legal abortion. So, now they can jettison I-1 for his character flaws and pretend they have been horrified all along.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post