well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I got mechanical keyboards!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got mechanical keyboards!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
When you are typing on iPhone or iPad and you want to move the cursor to previous text, press and hold the space bar. It will grey out the keyboard and then you van move your finger around in that area to move the cursor.

If anyone regularly has to proofread or edit on iPad get an Apple Pencil. Its a game changer for editing.

As recommended by my daughter, the Pencil with an iPad and the Notability app have been life-changing at work.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

I've always found the action on the mechanical keyboards I have tried too heavy.
Again, the problem is that since nearly all of the sources for keyboards are online vendors, it's nearly impossible to try one out before committing to it.

The force to activate a Cherry MX Brown switch is about 55 grams (and one of the features of Cherry switches is that they are very consistent). There are other switches with an actuation force of as little as 30 grams. Switches from Gateron, Kailh, and Varmilo should be decent quality. All of the super-light switches are linear - no tactile bump as you press them. Gateron Clear, Varmilo EC Daisy, and Kailh BOX Silent Pink are all rated at 35 grams. Topre makes one that is 30 grams, but Topre switches cost a lot more than others.

So if you were interested in a keyboard with a very light touch, they are out there. I'd like to try a couple lighter ones, but I'm not going to shell out $120-150 just to see if I like one.

I have met a couple pianos that had a super light action, so much so that just resting my fingers on the keys would play a note. Cherry MX Browns have a high enough actuation force, I can rest the whole weight of my hand on the keycaps and they don't go down (a big foam wrist rest helps that, too).

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
When you are typing on iPhone or iPad and you want to move the cursor to previous text, press and hold the space bar. It will grey out the keyboard and then you van move your finger around in that area to move the cursor.

If anyone regularly has to proofread or edit on iPad get an Apple Pencil. Its a game changer for editing.

As recommended by my daughter, the Pencil with an iPad and the Notability app have been life-changing at work.

Have her check out the new Freeform app from Apple. It’s excellent. Lots of the perks of Notability but more flexible and since it’s an Apple developed app it takes advantage of all the Pencil functions. I have completely switched over to it for a lot of things!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion!

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post