well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Steller's Jay

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steller's Jay
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Last year, we had a pair of Steller's jays that made their home in our back yard. They had two or three (I only ever saw two, Mrs. pj says there were three) kids.

It was quite the summer. Before the kids hatched, I saw one of the jays mercilessly taunting a raccoon, squawking, dive-bombing, and chasing the critter out of the yard. Raccoons climb trees and eat bird eggs, y'know.

One day, I was out sweeping the patio. I heard a rustle in the branches above me, then *blurp*, a big bird poop hit my arm. I think the jay was trying to tell me to get lost. (I wonder if the raccoon got the same treatment.)

The kids fledged. We watched over the summer as they'd visit the bird bath we have outside the dining room window. They grew. The family stayed in the back yard through the early summer, then it seems that all but one of the kids left.

It has very pronounced vertical light blue streaks above the eyes, much more clearly defined than most pictures I've seen. I'll try to get a picture one of these days.

So... my question is... is there any way to tell a male from a female? Appearance? Songs?

We also have robins, spotted towhees, juncos, and a variety of other LBBs. And the occasional hummingbird or woodpecker. Never mind the crows. They're kinda nasty.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post