well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How do you like this AirBnB??
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you like this AirBnB??
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ekornes Stressless furniture

Those are really nice, WTG! I've never heard of this company, will keep it in mind.

I don't think Mr. SK would agree to purchasing used furniture though... There's definitely an aversion to used items in Japan, although he's "expanded" quite a bite, there are some compromises he just won't make.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've heard of Stressless furniture but I've never seen it for sale. I checked on line and the local dealers are all very high end.

Just from the pictures I can tell they are very high quality. I'll have to check them out.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW, somehow I suspect that the options on Craigslist around WTG, and probably around Steve, are better than they are down here.... We'd probably have to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta to find anything good.

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
OH man, I'm salivating over that FLW throw. What a great find.

We have one of those Ekorness chairs in Mr. Nina's office. I remember *loving* it when we bought it, like 30 years ago. I happened to be in the office a few weeks ago and sat in it to go through some papers. Less comfy and required more "oomph" to push it into its most comfy semi-reclined position. Then when I went to get up again, I realized that it is really low to the floor, and is now much more difficult to get out of than I remember it was in my mid-20s. I wonder what happened to its structure? Big Grin

Age sucks. LOL

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Ekornes Stressless furniture

Those are really nice, WTG! I've never heard of this company, will keep it in mind.

I don't think Mr. SK would agree to purchasing used furniture though... There's definitely an aversion to used items in Japan, although he's "expanded" quite a bite, there are some compromises he just won't make.

I can understand that.

This sofa and loveseat are the first and only used pieces of upholstered furniture we've purchased; we've bought a lot of vintage teak tables and cabinets. You can sort of clean leather (as opposed to fabric upholstery), so we were okay with it.

I had been looking on CL casually and they came up. The owner was moving to Hawaii and couldn't take them with. They were in perfect condition and priced to move, so we grabbed them.

Ekornes furniture is super comfy. It conforms to your body and offers great support. They carry small, medium, and large sizes of the various styles of chairs they have.

They're quite durable, too. We have one chair we bought in the 1980s and it is still going strong. The model is the Royal, not sure if they still make it. Looks like this:

Unfortunately Ekornes controls pricing, so all dealers charge MSRP. They occasionally run specials on a particular style, but I've never seen a sale on all Ekornes. We did get one of our chairs at a substantial discount because it was a floor sample, but that was an exception.

sorry to derail the thread....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
OH man, I'm salivating over that FLW throw. What a great find.

We have one of those Ekorness chairs in Mr. Nina's office. I remember *loving* it when we bought it, like 30 years ago. I happened to be in the office a few weeks ago and sat in it to go through some papers. Less comfy and required more "oomph" to push it into its most comfy semi-reclined position. Then when I went to get up again, I realized that it is really low to the floor, and is now much more difficult to get out of than I remember it was in my mid-20s. I wonder what happened to its structure? Big Grin

Age sucks. LOL

Big Grin

Yea, they do sit a bit lower than some chairs. I figure getting in and out of mine keeps my quads strong. BTW, the black knobs on either side of the armrests let you adjust the force required to push back. Maybe somebody cranked them tight.

FLW throws galore (scroll down for the "other customers viewed"):

https://www.amazon.com/Frank-L...pestry/dp/B00ET2O1VO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job and looks to be very well put together and guest-friendly.

What a great way to use your (pl) skills and set up an endless money stream. I can picture you headed to AirBnB tycoondom if you so choose.

Go for it!!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Back from my third weekend in Mesa to set up the new unit. When I got home I found an Egret standing in my front planter, and if that doesn't mean good luck than I don't know what does!

It's taking longer than expected, partly because we've been having trouble finding furniture and fixtures we can actually get. Promised delivery dates turn out to be mere suggestions and we've had to order several things more than once. Most of what we can get is flat-pack stuff from places like Wayfair. The quality is good enough for this project but every piece takes HOURS to assemble and generates a remarkable quantity of trash. I've had five truckloads hauled away so far.

What's left to do is mostly detailing and artwork and installing a few remaining furniture pieces that are supposed to arrive by the end of next week. We shall see - and if they don't arrive I'm going to pick up some thrift store stuff just so we can get the place rented.

I don't have any glamor shots yet, but I do have a few pictures I'd like to share. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's coming together.

The kitchen is done except for some touch up painting, drawer pulls, and something for the back wall. The shelves are butcher block that the contractor had left over from another job.

Something new to me is that all of the contractors we have used so far are women, mostly because the management company we hired promotes them. They've all been very, very good and I am pleased to have so many people I can trust when we are so far away.

The living room is close, and not all that far from the inspiration room despite the fact this is the third sofa we've bought. This one was in stock locally and we snapped it up. It has some cowboy stitching, which I like. The "poofs" seemed like a good idea but aren't going to work. They're too soft for any good use. There is a cool coffee table coming, or so I have been lead to believe. There is also a recliner in transit somewhere. It's hard to see in the photo, but the cacti in the pictures are tinted green.

The new TV is a TCL and I really like it, so thanks for good advice on that. I especially like that it has ROKU built in and want to get that for the TV at home. 55" TV for like $450. Remarkable. There are some line drawings of the Phoenix skyline to be installed on the wall as well.

Looking at reviews from Airbnb guests, we learned that some guests like blinds, some like shades and others like curtains. I installed all three in each bedroom. The painting on the wall is one we bought at a garage sale back in the 70's. We were after the frame but saw the gallery stamp and decided it was a keeper. At one time it had some value but apparently this guy's work has gone out of style and you can't give it way. I always rather liked it and it is a good fit in the guest room.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Steve!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Looks great, Steve!!

Also, great photo of the egret!!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm irrationally pleased with this little vase I found at Goodwill for $4. It's Navajo and signed "E. Yazzi - Nav. E. Yazzi is Elise Yazzie and the Yazzi family has several members who produce artwork of various kinds. I like the history of the family as much as I do the piece itself.

Saturday night I was alarmed by what sounded like a large animal thumping around in the attic. As it turned out, this big (and poorly sited) Saguaro bends in the wind and when it snaps back it hits the house. We like it though, and there are rules about removing them so I will probably just brace it away from the house.

The place will be painted in two weeks - much lighter with cactus green doors. Not a moment too soon as it hasn't been painted since the Reagan administration.

This desk has been my furniture assembly station and I thought about it in response to Daniel's desk thread. It's pressboard, though - pretty much all flat pack stuff is.

I had the oversized olive tree removed along with the dead ash tree and had the other two trimmed. I like how it came out. Plans are for additional drought tolerant shrubs and perhaps a reduction in the size of the lawn in the interest of water conservation. That said, water is absurdly cheap in Mesa, as is power.

I'm looking in to replacing the mailboxes but it's not going to be easy. They're shared between four buildings and the Post Office gets involved as well. So far it's nothing but bureaucracy all the way down.

One more picture and I promise I'll stop. There are three of these gates and I really like them. There's no way to reproduce them and I'm praying the painter doesn't get paint on the wood.

The solar LED house numbers are really cool, and useful as the entrance for three of the units is off of a fairly dark alley. I want one for my house as well.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That looks so good! We had the exact same gates in our last house in Arizona. I found that I had to go out every year or so and tighten the bolts holding the wood on, but other than that it was fine.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I promise I'll stop

No! I love seeing the photos!! Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I'm irrationally pleased with this little vase I found at Goodwill for $4. It's Navajo and signed "E. Yazzi - Nav. E. Yazzi is Elise Yazzie and the Yazzi family has several members who produce artwork of various kinds. I like the history of the family as much as I do the piece itself.

I got this piece of sand art as a gift from some European friends who were traveling in Arizona before they came to visit us in the Midwest. It never got framed (still has the original cellophane wrapper), mostly because we have way too much art and we don't really have anything in Southwest motifs around here. But I thought it was really cool.

Can you read the signature on the back?

It's looking for a home if you're interested. We could help re-unite the Yazzie family..... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

I got this piece of sand art as a gift from some European friends who were traveling in Arizona before they came to visit us in the Midwest. It never got framed (still has the original cellophane wrapper), mostly because we have way too much art and we don't really have anything in Southwest motifs around here. But I thought it was really cool.

Can you read the signature on the back?

It's looking for a home if you're interested. We could help re-unite the Yazzie family..... Big Grin

It’s awesome, it’s definitely Navajo and it’s signed Yazzi. I’d love to have it! PM me so we can dicker. ThumbsUp