well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How do you like this AirBnB??
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you like this AirBnB??
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a picture of the label on the one you have and I can tell you how many watts it is.

I will do that later today, thank you!!!!

So, it doesn't need to be re-wired then, that would be great!

Sorry to derail your thread!!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18393 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Sorry to derail your thread!!!

No fear!

As you can surely tell, I like talking about this stuff. Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like talking about this stuff

Me too!!! Smiler

Posts: 18393 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I really like the brighly colored couches and chairs in the one you linked to. There are two southwestern styles (OK, probbly more but....): the earth tone like the inspiration room, and the barrio look, where colors are everywhere. The inspiration room is lovely, but I personally LOVE the barrio look. It's probably better known as "your basic Mexican restaurant look." Lots of different, bright colors, etc. You have to really know what you're doing in terms of color to get it right. But the brightly colored upholstery is a subtle nod to that style.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but in a place like Arizona ceiling fans are a must have. It may also mean that your renters run the A/C at a higher temperature, or less than they might otherwise, saving you some money.

My 2c.

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but in a place like Arizona ceiling fans are a must have. It may also mean that your renters run the A/C at a higher temperature, or less than they might otherwise, saving you some money.

My 2c.

Aha! A ceiling fan would solve the low clearance in the dining are problem and would be good in the bedrooms too! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
But the brightly colored upholstery is a subtle nod to that style.

Sharon and I talked about what you said and we like the idea of more color than is shown in the inspiration room. Not full-on Hacienda, but as you say, a nod.

We already have this chair and now figure that it will be the accent chair. It wasn't expensive, but it's comfortable enough and likely to be homeless when we sell this house. The little table could work as well - I like mixing styles and it looks "Southwestern" enough to me.

The lamp isn't going anywhere. It has a dragonfly on it and Sharon is crazy about those.

quote:
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but in a place like Arizona ceiling fans are a must have.

Duly noted and selected. Given the small space and 8 ft. ceilings, we're leaning toward this one:

Hunter Streamline ceiling fan

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
What's the Air BnB market like there?

We stayed in one in Scottsdale last February before all Hades broke loose.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
What's the Air BnB market like there?

We stayed in one in Scottsdale last February before all Hades broke loose.

The guy who rents out the other two AirBnB units has them rented out through the first week in March. The building is about 5 miles from the Cubs new Spring Training facility, and in normal times that would generate a solid month of steady rentals at premium rates. Not sure that will happen this year.

I really don't know why someone would choose to stay in Mesa as it's about 20 minutes from ASU and 30 to PHX proper, but for whatever reason they do. There is a big nature preserve with hiking trails across the street but I doubt many know about it.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Is that the Desert Botanical Garden? Or something deeper in Mesa?

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I like that fan, Steve--it's unobtrusive and we've had great success with Hunter fans in the past.

If you put the fan over the bed or other places where furniture is (like dining room table) you'll also not have to worry as much about ceiling height.

As an aside, my daughter's roommates are a tall married couple--the husband is about 6'4". They're looking to move to their own place and found a house in their budget that they really liked. Only problem: he was too tall for the house! He kept having to duck down to get through doorways, etc. Tall people problems.

We're a tall--ish family (I'm 5-8, Mr. Nina is 6 ft) but we've never felt like we were too tall for a house. Smiler

Mesa has always been a bit of a mystery to me as well. But I suspect that many AirBnB'ers have been going to Mesa for years and may well have other friends that either live there or spend winters there.

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Is that the Desert Botanical Garden? Or something deeper in Mesa?

It's something else and I don't see a name for it on the map. There is a sign though, and you can see the trailhead at from the road.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There are three things Sharon really likes to do. She likes road trips, shopping, and seeing her grandkids. This project combines all three and she is really enjoying it.

There are two caramel colored sofas you see in the stores and online. All the stores carry the same two under different names, and they are the ones you see on Amazon. Both are junk - when you sit down you sink right to the frame.

We've been to a dozen stores, and it surprising how few manufacturers (in our budget price range) there really are. Prices vary by store but it's the same stuff, and nearly all of it is on backorder from China. 8-12 weeks.

So went to Macy's. Good old Macy's. We found this sofa - larger scale but very well made and very, very comfortable. Half the price I would expect. The "tailfin" arms look midcentury enough to me. I daresay the denizens of WTF will approve - stronger colors seem to be favored here. I like the color a lot.

The idea was to use a fabric chair of some sort along with it but comfortable chairs were too big and small-ish recliners (I LOVE recliners) were too $$$. Then we found this.

It's insanely comfortable and comes with the footstool. It reclines as well. A poor knockoff of the Eames original but the scale is right and it's similar to the one my Dad sat in for decades. Remarkably inexpensive and free delivery.

Sharon found this rug on clearance at Home Goods. It has a lot of colors in it and should tie things together. It does not photograph well laid over a chair in the bedroom.

Along with dozens of boxes of crockery, case goods, linens, small appliances and bed frames we also have this. FLW "Saguaro" throw found on line. At the time it was designed it was thought to be too radical and the pattern was never used.

All heavier and brighter than originally proposed, but to me it looks and feels more comfortable and I think will be better overall.

Wall color? Navajo white.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I love the sofa and the throw!!! Wow! Those are great finds. (ETA, I also really like the rug and chair, but I just LOVE the sofa and throw!)

Macys furniture can actually be pretty nice. (I wish there was a Macys closer to us!) My mother recently got a loveseat and chair set from Macys and they are really nice.

quote:
when you sit down you sink right to the frame

This is so, so annoying! Why is it so hard to make a good chair or sofa??

When we first moved back to the US, we bought a loveseat from Ashley's. It was great in the store, but the one that was delivered to our house, you just sink right down! I wondered if they did something to fortify the floor model? Anyway, at the time, I was just starting grad school and besides everything else, we didn't even have a car, so we just put up with it. A few years down the road, we added a wooden board under the cushions. Roll Eyes

We still have that damn loveseat and I hate the thought of trying to shop for a replacement just because so much of what's out there is junk. And if it's not junk, it costs about as much as our house. VeryAngry

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve, love what you are guys are selecting. I need to hire Sharon.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37851 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
SK, we love Ekornes Stressless furniture. Comfortable as all getup. Purchased new it's quite expensive but it comes up on Craigslist all the time.

We got both of these for $900. They probably retailed for over $5000 when new.

We also have several Ekorness Stressless recliners, accumulated over the last 35 years or so.

PSA: Buying leather furniture can be tricky. A lot of it is bonded leather. Looks good to start but doesn't wear well at all, and may split/crack in just a few years with any use.

Leather grading:

https://www.popovleather.com/b...de-to-leather-grades

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37851 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post