well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    She Fell For What Now?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

She Fell For What Now?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Being the founder and on the board of two 501c3 corps it makes no sense at all to me that she did not contact another board member before doing this.

None of this makes sense.

She is a quirky lady, for sure, but lovable. But if she had asked even one person . . . I mean, dang. She knows how to reach me and knows I’m a government lawyer.

If it were a scam, she would have drained her account as well, right? Just to make it look better.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know why she didn't consult any other board members before she took action.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
quote:
Being the founder and on the board of two 501c3 corps it makes no sense at all to me that she did not contact another board member before doing this.

She is a quirky lady, for sure, but lovable. But if she had asked even one person . . . I mean, dang. She knows how to reach me and knows I’m a government lawyer.

If it were a scam, she would have drained her account as well, right? Just to make it look better.
Not if you approach it from the criminal mind. Why would you pretend to lose money you already owned? That would made the story even less credible.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I can't tell if this is a case of extreme stupidity or criminality. Assuming the best, yeah, really dumb. Who really thinks the IRS would call her up and tell her they (the IRS?) would hold her money for "safekeeping"? Whose radar would not be firing a mile a minute after receiving a call like this?

Oh well. I don't think it's criminal. Why do all that for $16K? Why not wait and do it when you have more money? But then again, I'm not exactly known for my crackerjack criminal skilz.

If she was scammed, I'm sorry that happened, but I'm mainly sorry for the kids the charity would have helped. Because she really shouldn't be allowed to manage money or run a nonprofit.

My 2c.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not if you approach it from the criminal mind. Why would you pretend to lose money you already owned? That would made the story even less credible.

Why would you pretend to lose money you already owned?

So that your story is internally consistent.

If you really think your identity has been stolen and thieves are about to steal you blind, you might ask the IRS whether you should clean out your personal account also.

So, you clean out the charity's account, clean out your own account, and stash it all under your mattress.

And you can cry the blues and say you believed the story so thoroughly that you lost your own money.

As a juror, I would find that more believable, assuming I could stomach any of it.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Maybe your friend is showing early signs of dementia. No person with their full faculties intact would fall for this.

Either that, or she's the scammer.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It's a weird thing to respond with, "Boy, I hope she's just dumb."

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
No person with their full faculties intact would fall for this.

piqué, I wouldn't say that, I think these scammers can be very skillful, and if someone hasn't heard about the various kinds of scams there are, and the person on the other end of the phone is really good with their spiel, the person gets taken in.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Some of what they do is so subtle.

Like, LS is thinking of doing a coding boot camp.

Setting aside for the moment whether this is a good idea, the pitch he is getting is sophisticated and calculated to snare someone just like him.

The way it goes with one of these boot camps is that you have to "apply." Then they "interview" you and make sure you're a good "fit" and will be "successful" in their demanding program.

In reality, the only qualification one needs is that their money must be green.

But this is really a brilliant strategy because of course you would never negotiate once you are one of the chosen few.

Thankfully, LS' mom is a Professional Skeptic.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Cindy is right. These people are very, very good at what they do, and very persistent. We went through it with my beloved MIL, who sent them at least $40K that we know of. Once they knew we were on to them the tactics they used to try to get through to her again were truly ingenious and amazing.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We went through it with my beloved MIL, who sent them at least $40K that we know of.

Frowner I'm so sorry to hear that!! It must have been horrible for everyone.

There's a special place in hell for these scammers, esp the ones who take advantage of people who are just so innocent and trusting. >_<

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a weird thing to respond with, "Boy, I hope she's just dumb."

or overprotected, naive, white suburbanite.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Seriously? Given all we know about scammers, and particularly IRS scammers, this wouldn't send up at least a yellow flag if we received a call like this? If you prefer naive, fine. Or do you think it's better that she stole the money?

I honestly don't get it.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
"Send the IRS the money to keep it safe"

Uh-huh.

Neither subtle nor skillful.

Not saying some scams might be subtle and skillful, but not this one.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Taken on its face and out of context, yes. But you really need to experience these people. They are highly skilled at what they do.