well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    She Fell For What Now?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

She Fell For What Now?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Oh, dear. A tennis friend of mine got scammed.

This friend is a retired PE teacher, and she founded a charitable organization to get kids playing more sports or something. I never participated or donated, but she is really into it. So good for her.

Well, one day she got a voicemail from the IRS. When she returned the call, the caller told her that the IRS had learned that thieves had hacked the bank account of the charity account, which had a balance of about $16,000. They informed her that she needed to remove all of the money in the account before the thieves did and send it to the IRS for safekeeping.

My friend became very concerned, especially since the caller was able to confirm many details about her that only the IRS would know. It sounded so official. So she drained the account and FedX'd cash to the address the IRS had provided. Then she thought about it and decided to call the police to get them to investigate. And they told her it was a scam.

I'm gobsmacked. I mean, this lady is is educated and is not impaired. How did she fall for this? Apparently, a second person in the area also fell for this lame scam. Police apparently have video of the person picking up the Fed Ex package my friend sent, but good luck recovering the money.

Cindy -- who would never get scammed like this because she doesn't listen to voicemail

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Classic scam. The IRS doesn't just call up people.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
If your account gets hacked, that's the bank's problem, right?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker

OMG! I agree, I can't believe someone fell for that. I could see being taken in at first, but as soon as they get to the "send us all your money for safekeeping" part? No, alarm bells gotta go off then.

OMG. I feel so bad for her. But still, wow. smh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
If your account gets hacked, that's the bank's problem, right?

I believe so, for the most part. But, there may be a delay before you get your money back... I don't know what other limitations there are on that sort of thing.

Hmmm.

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
She will probably be investigated - that was charity money. The IRS and law enforcement both look very askance at such things. I hope she can prove the communications.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The first questions are always, what's your name? What office do you work for? What's your callback number?

And then you call that office (look up the number yourself) and ask to speak to that person.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
The first questions are always, what's your name? What office do you work for? What's your callback number?

And then you call that office (look up the number yourself) and ask to speak to that person.

That is good advice

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It is if your intentions are good. If they are not, “Oh, I got scammed” is a plausible dodge.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Why did one person, on her own initiative, get to drain the account of a charity. I suspect she is liable for replacing that money from her own sources. And, .... I don't feel particularly bad in saying that about your friend. She made a wacko choice and is now likely responsible for reimbursing the charity.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
She will probably be investigated - that was charity money. The IRS and law enforcement both look very askance at such things. I hope she can prove the communications.

Yes

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I imagine they will be investigating it. I'd be surprised if she cooked it up. It would be very easy to get caught.

She's the CEO, so I imagine she had the authority to remove the money. What doesn't make sense is how the scammers would know she was the person who could remove the money. I guess anything is possible, but that part is weird. Like, if they just had her phone number, SSN last four digits, name and address, how did the charity's name come up? Why didn't she take the money from her own account?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My rule, and one I try to pass on, is that if I didn’t initiate the call or the email I treat it as spam. I don’t click on anything I didn’t ask for.

So far so good.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Being the founder and on the board of two 501c3 corps it makes no sense at all to me that she did not contact another board member before doing this.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My rule, and one I try to pass on, is that if I didn’t initiate the call or the email I treat it as spam. I don’t click on anything I didn’t ask for

This. There are times when there’s a call that’s legit, but I always assume an attitude of suspicion if it’s an incoming call or email. You pretty much can’t go wrong with that approach.