well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    5,111 Days on Mars

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5,111 Days on Mars
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
NASA’s Mars Rover Opportunity Concludes a 15-Year Mission
https://nyti.ms/2GHXivV

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
It's pursuits such as this that humans need to concentrate on. vs. constantly preparing for, and causing war.

What an awesome achievement.

It's final message was touching.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
It is a machine.
A sad event anyway. More so for those who worked with it I assume.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
JPL does a hell of a job.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Frowner

I was at the ASU "mission control" landing party when it landed. Talk about high anxiety.

"On Saturday, January 24, at 10:05pm Arizona time, the Opportunity Rover, the second of NASA’s twin Mars Exploration Rovers (MER), landed on a very interesting part of Mars known as Meridiani Planum. A crowd of about 500 onlookers cheered as NASA executed a flawless landing in what turned out to be a small, shallow crater in an exotic gray plain, with weathered rock outcroppings. Arizona State University scientists watched it all unfold with anxiety, anticipation, jubilation and a great deal of personal and professional interest."

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I showed the meme of Opportunity and its last words,"My batteries are low and it's getting dark," to a creative writing class last night. I asked them to give some thought to how readily we imbue inanimate objects with feelings and respond with feelings of our own. This tendency carries more than a little relevance for people who hope to be able to stir feeling with pixels on a screen or ink on a page.

But they didn't really have to give it much thought, because as soon as the image flashed on the screen, the whole room sighed and individuals started murmuring things like, "Oh, that's so sad."

I'm not sure if any of them had ever given Opportunity a second thought, but they responded to the idea of it dying alone, far from home, after doing its job faithfully for many years.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It's surprising how many people are expressing sadness over this. I understand it myself, but it seems to be some sort of universal thing.

And we also have this:

quote:
Meanwhile, Insight still has that alluring new probe smell.

Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post