well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Japanese mayonnaise appears to be a thing
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japanese mayonnaise appears to be a thing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wondered why the bottle that Steve bought looked different from the one I saw at Mitsuwa.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mitsuwa was being remodeled when we went there for lunch a while back. They're done and they're having a celebration this weekend.

quote:
Crowds of loyal customers flocked to Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights on a rainy Saturday to find a new airy shopping space and entertainment from two celebrities

First, a massive bluefin tuna had a brief but spectacular debut as it was filleted in the renovated foyer of the destination store that features Japanese cuisine and products.

Then, Japanese star and transgender celebrity Ai Haruna performed for fans in a dazzling kimono.

Suburban regulars and visitors from Chicago gave high marks to the first redo of the supermarket since it opened in 1987.

"It just seems super-bright and warm. I like it aesthetically," Grace Cocking of Chicago said while sitting with friends in the busy food court. She said she travels from the city "for the whole experience."

Changes included new lighting and decor, consolidating some departments, a self checkout area, and two new restaurants: the confections shop J-sweets and Toritetsu, a Tokyo-based eatery popular for its yakitori -- flavorful skewered chicken.

https://www.dailyherald.com/ne...in-arlington-heights

It's time to go back to check it out...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The SK household is not jealous. Not even a little bit.

WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've made cole slaw several times now with Japanese mayonnaise. Also ranch salad dressing.

Both were awesome!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am on a chicken salad kick. I found the Japanese version in Walmart.

I buy the rotisserie chicken (usually just a breast) and make chicken salad with it for the week (with cranberries, celery and walnuts). I can make enough for 2 or 3 lunches a week and I have to say I am loving the mayo! (And the Chewpie on the bag! Smiler)

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I just got home from my weekly Costco trip.

Guess what Costco has.

Kewpie Mayo!

Also Nando's Peri-Peri Sauce. It said "medium" and it was a very orange color. I didn't think I could use a quart of it, so I didn't get one. But I love Nando's.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
I am on a chicken salad kick. I found the Japanese version in Walmart.

I buy the rotisserie chicken (usually just a breast) and make chicken salad with it for the week (with cranberries, celery and walnuts). I can make enough for 2 or 3 lunches a week and I have to say I am loving the mayo! (And the Chewpie on the bag! Smiler)

Oh that sounds awesome, and easy! Do you just kind of rip the chicken up, add the ingredients and mayo to taste? Does anything else get added? (I'm pretty sure "rip" is the word most top-level chefs use...)

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sharon bought some Peri-Peri sauce at some place like Home Goods. This one is green. I’ve never heard of it and tried it at breakfast. Kind of like chow-chow but much sweeter.

What do you eat it with?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
At Nando's, they marinate chicken in it and grill it. It is heavenly.

Nando's is basically the El Pollo Loco of Africa, and they have spread to other continents, now, too.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
At Nando's, they marinate chicken in it and grill it. It is heavenly.

Nando's is basically the El Pollo Loco of Africa, and they have spread to other continents, now, too.

I can see doing that. There’s enough sugar in it that it should Caramellize beautifully. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Kewpie mayonnaise has become a staple in the wtg household. We've made Japanese potato salad several times. And mr wtg loves it on sandwiches.

Thanks to Steve and SK for introducing us to Kewpie!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp