well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Japanese mayonnaise appears to be a thing
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japanese mayonnaise appears to be a thing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How fun! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG -- Awesome! Mr. SK is jealous!

So most of those breaded cutlets are probably pork. There are chicken ones too but you can usually tell. Also you can salmon and maybe something that's a kind of mackerel, though maybe something else.

Wait, you meant on the sign? That's pork too.

Next time you go, get some of those sweets! The brown ones in the upper right of the photo are O-hagi, the brown stuff is sweet bean paste, awesome with unsweetened green tea! Also the other things in the photo are mochi and probably kashiwa-mochi, different kinds of rice cake treats. We love those!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It’s Easter, aka Japanese potato salad day! About to start playing in the kitchen.

Part of me wants to pickle the carrots and cucumber with rice vinegar, and part of me says “just follow the directions the first time!”

SK, I’m guessing your recipe serves 2? I’m doubling because the kids are coming for dinner. I will either have enough, or tons of leftovers.

Potato salad noob, going in!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna just bought Japanese mayonnaise at the Asian grocery today. Smiler

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Um, when does that oil go in?

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I looked at a bunch of recipes for Japanese potato salad. I didn't see any oil in those recipes, but maybe that's the secret ingredient that makes Mr SK's super special.

I would say you could leave it out, or add it to the hot potatoes.

Some of the recipes called for using rice wine vinegar, ham, Japanese hot mustard....all of which sound like intriguing variations...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing that oil and vinegar could be whisked, and then added with the salt and pepper. But when I looked in my kitchen, the only oil I had was olive oil or toasted sesame oil. So I skipped the oil.

The potato salad is yummy. I checked. Repeatedly. It’s not dinner time yet. Kids should arrive in about 15 minutes to help me plant my new blueberry bush, and then it’s on to dinner prep.

PS: The mayo is delicious. It tastes kind of like egg salad!

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Um, when does that oil go in?

Oops! that must have been my scribe-mistake! Mr. SK said he adds oil when smashing the potatoes, so I imagine you could whisk it as you said. He also said you don't have to add it.

Anyway, we're glad you tried it! Kewpie mayo is the best! WTG, I bet it would be super yummy with Japanese hot mustard!!

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This thread is making me hungry.

SK, when I looked up Kewpie to see where I could buy it, I found this article...There are two versions? Japanese and US Kewpie versions? Which one does Mr. SK use?

And just today on Milk Street Radio a caller had a question about toasting spices. A small Japanese pan used for sesame seed toasting. I cannot for the live of me remember the name (I was driving at the time. Razzer )

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BeeLady, hmmm, we get ours at a Japanese grocery store, so I'm guessing it's the import kind. But we did once see it a Walmart, and bought some there. (They seem to not be stocking it anymore). Anyway, I've never noticed a difference, so I can't say for sure. I'll check the next time we buy some (the outer package should make it clear).

Re MSG, I've read that it's not the villain it's been made out to be,though I don't really have an opinion on it....

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Ooo, SK, I just checked and the Walmart down the street stocks it. Will definitely be trying it.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

And just today on Milk Street Radio a caller had a question about toasting spices. A small Japanese pan used for sesame seed toasting. I cannot for the live of me remember the name (I was driving at the time. Razzer )

I was listening to that same episode, and told Mary Anna about the sesame seed toaster they mentioned! I couldn't remember the name either. (And, when I got home, I pulled up the recipe for lemon almond pound cake.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Even though I couldn't remember the name, Milk Street Radio said you can look it up on Amazon as a sesame seed toaster. Lo and behold:

https://www.amazon.com/Japanes...806&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This is the first Easter in memory where I did not get to eat any deviled eggs.

I’m going to make some with the IP and Kewpie Mayo. Yummy

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post