well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Japanese mayonnaise appears to be a thing
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japanese mayonnaise appears to be a thing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Kewpie brand, to be exact.

I've never thought about trying Japanese mayonnaise before but it seems everyone on the internet is talking about the stuff and now I want some.

Might be a good excuse to check out the big new Japanese grocery store I've been meaning to visit.

Why You Should Be Obsessed With Japan's Kewpie Mayo

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34968 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've tried it. I like it. But I use so little mayo that I never get around to actually buying it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Japanese mayo is the best mayo there is. And yes, Kewpie is the best of the Japanese mayo brands.

Mr. SK makes a potato salad with Japanese mayo that just does not work with American mayo.

If you like tuna salad, you'll love it with Japanese mayo.

Even my mother decided a turkey sandwich is better with Japanese mayo.

If you like wasabi, or American horseradish, try mixing it with Japanese mayo, that is sooo yummy! Or use hot Chinese mustard instead of wasabi, also very yummy!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18504 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Mr. SK makes a potato salad with Japanese mayo that just does not work with American mayo.

Do you have a recipe for that? Yummy

Posts: 34968 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I’ll ask. It probably will require me to translate it but I’ll try to do that and post it this weekend.
If you like creamy, it’s pretty amazing!

Posts: 18504 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you like wasabi, or American horseradish, try mixing it with Japanese mayo, that is sooo yummy! Or use hot Chinese mustard instead of wasabi, also very yummy!

That sounds great. I'm not a huge mayo fan, but with wasabi I might become one.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, Mr. SK told me his recipe and I wrote it up in English. One thing I didn't change is the teaspoon and tablespoon, the Japanese ones are slightly smaller than the American ones, but it should be ok.

Japanese Potato Salad (photo found online, but Mr. SK's looks a lot like this)

Potatoes - about 4 (500-600 grams)
Carrot - 50 grams (Mr. SK said "as much as you want)
Cucumber - 1 if it's large-ish

Vinegar - 1.5 teaspoons
Salad (?) Oil - 1 tablespoon (recipe calls for "salad oil" which could be any vegetable oil. Mr. SK uses canola and says he doesn't recommend olive oil for this)
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper - as you like
Kepie mayo (Mr. SK said the recipe calls for 4-5 tablespoons but he just does one squirt without measuring, resulting in a dollop maybe the size of a fist, you could start out small and add to taste)

1) Prepping the potatoes
Boil the potatoes until they're soft
Peel while still hot
Smush the potatoes in a large bowl
Mix in salt, pepper, vinegar

2) Prepping the carrots
Cut the carrots (slice/chunk them)
Boil water, when it comes to a boil, add salt (as you like)
Put the carrots into the boiling water until they're soft

3) Prepping the cucumbers
Chop/slice similar to the carrots (Mr SK cuts first in fourths and then slices)
Put the cut cucumbers on top of paper towel and gently squeeze to get rid of some of the water

4) Putting it all together
Mix the carrots and cucumbers in with the potatoes
Add mayo and mix

Mr. SK said that's the recipe but he mostly does it to taste.

He also reminded me that he makes American style cole slaw but with Kewpie mayo instead of American mayo.

Let us know if you try on of these and how you like it!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That looks nummy.

What kind of spuds does he use?

I may have all the ingredients except for the mayonnaise, but Mitsuwa is only 10 minutes away....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37924 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mitsuwa

Oh Mitsuwa, we love you and miss you soooo!

Re what kind, Mr SK said "just regular potatoes, not the round ones" -- maybe they're russets or baking potato? Do we call anything a "german potato" in the US?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The ones I'm familiar with:

Russets (oblong shape, brown skin, usually used for baking. think fluffy baked potato),

Yukon gold (kind of all purpose),

Red (waxier and often used in American potato salad),

White (my grandmother used these for boiling - not as fluffy as russets and not as waxy as reds, and not quite like Yukons). These don't seem to be super-popular; I usually buy them at the Polish grocery store.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37924 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's rice vinegar rather than regular white vinegar, yes?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the potatoes are either russets or Yukon gold.

And also, he said nope, he just uses regular white vinegar. Mirin would probably be too sweet?

Really, I think it's the Kewpie mayo, that's the secret. You put that on practically anything and it's fantastic.

Also, Mr. SK said "Mitsuwa... *sigh*"

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So I bought some.

Kewpie Mayo is amazing! Much more flavor than regular commercial mayonnaise, more yolk, a bit of mustard in the finish. Not sweet, no HFCS. In fact the whole ingredients list is really clean, unlike the “Olive Oil Mayonnaise” I got at Trader Joe’s that has more water in it than olive oil (I’m not sure how they stabilize it) and two other oils as well - canola and soybean - and the contents of half a chemistry set. But I digress...

I’ll definitely be making the potato salad (elegantly simple!) and I’m guessing the potato to use will be a White Rose if I can find them. Yukons are pretty sweet and Russets are pretty soft.

Thanks!

Edit: They stabilize it with Polysorbate 60. Popular stuff with a sketchy safety profile and 0 flavor contribution. Kewpie doesn’t need it. Why does the Trader Joe’s (Kraft) need it? Could it be that PS 60 is cheaper than the real food ingredients found in the Kewpie?

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’ve never made potato salad. That looks amazing. I think this will be the ice breaker for me.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post