well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Thanksgiving plans?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving plans?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I know what my guess is.

Maybe set a poll?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The pomegranate molasses turned out great! I should have made more.

Recipe (I made this up)

Juice of one pomegranate--crush the seeds in a bowl with a potato masher, then drain the juice
juice of half a lime
Soup spoon full of apricot jam (no sugar, just the fruit)

bring to a boil in a sauce pan then simmer slowly until thickens

I doused the lamb first in mixed herbs, salt, and pepper, then on the broiler rack slathered it in the pomegranate sauce on both sides.

Cook at 400F for ten minutes. Baste with pomegranate again, turn over. Cook another ten minutes.

Then 5 mins under the broiler to brown and carmelize the pomegranate. Wow it was good.

Then I put pomegranate sauce on my chocolate ice cream. Heaven!

BTW, the dogs devoured! the pomegranate mush that was left over after juicing and begged for more. Crazy!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Now on a less celebratory note, please let us know if anyone in your Thanksgiving cohort comes down with Covid, or if any other groups you know of that gathered have new covid cases.

Mr. Pique's trainee at work hosted Thanksgiving for 40 people. I am hoping if she is going to get sick it is before Monday!!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We stayed home, just the two of us. We got take out from a favorite restaurant and had three days of lasagna, spaghetti and some side dishes.

Today we going to get take out from another favorite restaurant, this time Chinese. Yum!

We also have (ok, had) apple pie, next up is pecan pie, and I got my favorite cranberry relish from Publix, it is the best, just a hint of orange.

Oh and there's eggnog in the fridge.

So we've been having an... eclectic feast??

BTW Ax, that all looks amazing!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agree with SK, Ax that spread looks amazing.

I'm guessing the turkey is #7 because it has recognizable strips of meat that don't appear to be anything else and doing something like saying "it has turkey" when it really has like turkey drippings only would be just too cruel.

But when I went back and looked again, I'm also now suspecting that perhaps #3 might be turkey.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't know which one of the dishes has turkey, but I'd like some #2, please.

I do know that I'm going to either Ax's or pique's house for Thanksgiving dinner next year.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Picture: https://www.coffee-room.com/tm...giving-2022-main.jpg

List of dishes:

1. Turkey lasagna
2. BBQ pork ribs
3. Roast duck on a bed of baby bokchoy
4. Stir fried rice cake
5. Spicy fish and scallop casserole
6. Mini vegetable spring rolls
7. Bang bang chicken (chicken, shredded vegetables, somewhat spicy peanut sauce)
8. Salad - mixed green, extra arugula, ginger teriyaki dressing, dried cranberries, wasabi peas, pineapple bits
9. Sliced marinated shiitake mushroom on a bed of boiled Chinese broccoli
A. Sautéed prawns in tomato based sauce
B. Cucumber salad with tofu skin and wood ear fungus (auricularia auricula-judae)
C. "Char siu" honey roast pork with baby bokchoy
D. Macaroni salad

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
And the desserts:

Picture: https://www.coffee-room.com/tm...ing-2022-dessert.jpg

1. Papaya and pineapple, diced
2. Longan (dimocarpus longan)
3. Macarons, assorted flavors
4. Candied walnut
5. Pumpkin pie
6. Pumpkin spice cupcakes with cheese in the middle
7. Taro and sago pearls in coconut milk pudding
8. (not shown in picture) Eggnog

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
A niece and 2 nephews drove down from Minnesota to mom's house (yes, she wanted to host since she came home from the hospital with a new hip)

My older brother had flown in from California to stay with her during recovery.

MrsTuner and I came over around noon to help with the preparations - niece had taken the lead in planning.

Turkey, mashed potatoes, mom's stuffing recipe, roasted cauliflower and roasted sweet potatoes,cranberry relish and of course some canned cranberry! There was a pumpkin cheesecake and some sort of tarts that the kids made.

Nice time. Mom had both nurse visits and physical therapy in the morning. She nosed around with her walker, but did take a decent nap in the early afternoon.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Picture: https://www.coffee-room.com/tm...giving-2022-main.jpg

List of dishes:

1. Turkey lasagna
2. BBQ pork ribs
3. Roast duck on a bed of baby bokchoy
4. Stir fried rice cake
5. Spicy fish and scallop casserole
6. Mini vegetable spring rolls
7. Bang bang chicken (chicken, shredded vegetables, somewhat spicy peanut sauce)
8. Salad - mixed green, extra arugula, ginger teriyaki dressing, dried cranberries, wasabi peas, pineapple bits
9. Sliced marinated shiitake mushroom on a bed of boiled Chinese broccoli
A. Sautéed prawns in tomato based sauce
B. Cucumber salad with tofu skin and wood ear fungus (auricularia auricula-judae)
C. "Char siu" honey roast pork with baby bokchoy
D. Macaroni salad

Amazing spread! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I want Ax' dinner and deserts. Wow.

I changed my mind and celebrated with Jim, his mother, and sister, one of her granddaughters, and the granddaughter's boyfriend.

The risks I incurred were the same ones Jim would have brought home.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Awesome, Ax.

WHO in the world did all that cooking? It must have been a team.

My closest friend (Chinese) said her son who lives nearby just ordered a nice take out dinner for the family from a Chinese restaurant.

(I'd been afraid all the cooking would be left to her, and asked.)

But your family is a good bit younger, I think.
Kudos to whomever cooked that feast!
The food photographer (you?) is fabulous too.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
A niece and 2 nephews drove down from Minnesota to mom's house (yes, she wanted to host since she came home from the hospital with a new hip)

My older brother had flown in from California to stay with her during recovery.

MrsTuner and I came over around noon to help with the preparations - niece had taken the lead in planning.

Turkey, mashed potatoes, mom's stuffing recipe, roasted cauliflower and roasted sweet potatoes,cranberry relish and of course some canned cranberry! There was a pumpkin cheesecake and some sort of tarts that the kids made.

Nice time. Mom had both nurse visits and physical therapy in the morning. She nosed around with her walker, but did take a decent nap in the early afternoon.

What a nice gathering and meal, Ron!
And do I understand right that your mom's wanting to host the dinner meant that it take place in her house? (NOT that she do anything active.)

Whichever, she sounds like a real trouper.
Lots of memories (and I hope, photos) for the family to treasure.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Awesome, Ax.

WHO in the world did all that cooking? It must have been a team.
Thanks. It’s a gathering of the extended family comprising five households. Think of it as pot luck, each family averages out to about three dishes and maybe one or two desserts.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here's the deer chili:

It's really good if you like this style - the style you might find on a chili dog. The flavor of the venison is just enough different from beef to make it interesting.

No grease - venison is very lean.

Paul also served "backstrap", which is something like a deer tenderloin.

I've had venison in the past and it was terrible. Tough, dry and almost chalky. This tenderloin was delicious - keeping it on the rare side is key, as it turns out.

I can see doing it in sous vide to make it pink all the way through and then a quick sear.