well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Breakfast wars

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breakfast wars
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Wendy's is finally entering the breakfast battle this week, so McDonald's is trying to throw a knockout blow.

McDonald's has deemed Monday "National Egg McMuffin Day" and it's luring people in with free sandwiches. The chain also said in a press release that the day is intended to celebrate the "best" fast food breakfast sandwich as it is also turning 50 this year. But it's likely not a coincidence that it is the same day Wendy's takes its eagerly anticipated breakfast menu nationwide.

The offer is only valid Monday in US restaurants from 6 am to 10:30 am local time. To get the free sandwich, customers will have to order it through McDonald's app. The company continues to push the app so it can offer personalized offers and promotions directly to customers, McDonald's said in its most recent earnings call.

Increasing the McDonald's app's user base is "key," according to Morningstar analyst R.J. Hottovy, because Monday's promotion could result in building customer loyalty: Customers might be enticed to come back because of future offers.

Hottovy also that said offering free Egg McMuffins will keep the chain "top of mind" because Wendy's is spending big — upwards of $80 million this year — to promote the new menu.
"It's more of a defensive move rather than an offensive move," he said about the promotion.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/01...uffin-day/index.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Meh. Wendy's used to serve breakfast and they were pretty lame. I'm wondering how their current offerings fare, but, like Taco Bell whose breakfasts are godawful dreck, I don't hold much hope.

McDonald's rocks fast food breakfast, but I have no interest in the app and a free egg mcmuffin does not move me much.

The best breakfast sandwich in the world, though, used to be found at an Arby's in Lynchburg VA in the 90's. I was working there and they served up a country ham egg and cheese croissant that was to die for, especially if you were a bit hung over. All that salt in the ham helped. I still remember the taste.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just looked at their menu. High calorie, low appeal. Plus it is only at some locations so you can't even count on it. They need to commit.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've found that Starbucks has pretty decent (for fast food) breakfast sandwiches. Bonus: there are two (turkey bacon and bacon gouda) that are relatively low calorie. The turkey bacon sammich is listed as 290 calories, egg whites only.

My favorite meal out is breakfast, but I'm talking going to the diner, getting eggs, hash browns, toast and coffee, bonus points if the coffee is served in one of those thick white ceramic mugs. It's not that hard to grab something on my way out the door for breakfast. If I'm having breakfast out, I'm doing it right. Smiler

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’m with you, Nina. Sit yer butt down at an actual restaurant and have a much better experience.

BTW there’s a new generation of upscale diners that take breakfast to a new level. We visited the Silver Lining Diner in East Hampton NY...beautiful pancakes with real maple syrup, sophisticated omelets, etc. And not that much more expensive.

The Times ran an article on these places. Will post if I can find it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell you the last time I had an Egg McMuffin. The closest I come to fast food breakfast was a trip to Corner Bakery about three months ago. Coupon came in the mail so we thought we'd try it. It was OK at coupon prices, but not worth it at the regular price.

We have a couple of good breakfast type places around here, a little more upscale than the diners.

Our two favoritest places are in Door County. One is Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant (goats on roof place) and the other is the White Gull Inn.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
We have some wonderful breakfast places here.

Yum. They compete. Yum!

One even makes a popover for you the moment you walk in the door. Serves it as a surprise, hot!

I'd never get fast food breakfast...yuck.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Starbucks has the sous vide egg bites. They are excellent and taste just like boiled eggs made in the Instant pot.

If you simply must eat your breakfast on the road, this is what you want to eat.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
OTOH, (and I have posted about this before)

If you want a big, decadent, heavy, full on breakfast, IHOP deserves a chance. I don’t think I had been to one in 20 years before I tried one a couple weeks ago and I’m telling you the breakfast was the equivalent of anything I’ve ever had anywhere else.

It is too big. It is too heavy. There are way too many calories. It is absolutely delicious and you can bring home a box, and that box will feed you for several days. Eat on it for a week. Good coffee too.

Come to my house and I will make you something better, but it won’t be all that much better and you won’t get nearly as big a box to take home.

Decide for yourself on the coffee.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Steve, I'll have to give IHOP a look...have not been in one in decades.

Also, here's the article on fancy diners...it does make them sound too hipster-ish, but I enjoyed Silver Lining, the one I went to (also mentioned in the article).

New Diners

Menu from Silver Lining Diner

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I've found that Starbucks has pretty decent (for fast food) breakfast sandwiches. Bonus: there are two (turkey bacon and bacon gouda) that are relatively low calorie. The turkey bacon sammich is listed as 290 calories, egg whites only.

The best thing at Starbucks are the egg bites. I can live on the bacon Swiss egg bites.

quote:
My favorite meal out is breakfast, but I'm talking going to the diner, getting eggs, hash browns, toast and coffee, bonus points if the coffee is served in one of those thick white ceramic mugs. It's not that hard to grab something on my way out the door for breakfast. If I'm having breakfast out, I'm doing it right. Smiler

Totally agree, although I can't do the carby parts any more. It's always a meat and cheese omelette for me.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I went to an ihop in West Palm Beach two weeks ago. Also the first time in decades. It was good.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post