well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Need cooktop advice: Stainless Steel or Glass?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need cooktop advice: Stainless Steel or Glass?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I am finally replacing my 20+ year-old gas cooktop. It is 36", white glass. So that means the cooktop surface itself is glass. I really like that because clean-up is easy and glass doesn't scratch.

The choice now is between a stainless steel model or a "gas on glass" model.

The stainless steel ones look about like what you would imagine: perfect stainless steel on the cooktop surface and below the burners; big black grates that the pots sit on.

The gas-on-glass swaps out the stainless steel except for a little bit of edge trim. The grates sit on the glass.

My worry with stainless steel is that someone will scratch it while cleaning it: cleaning people, visitors, family. I worry I will be constantly monitoring how people clean the stove, rushing over to snatch scouring powder and scrubbing devices out of their hands.

How hard is stainless steel to maintain? Has anyone tried gas on glass -- I would have to order it sight unseen because no store stocks it.

Posts: 18168 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18168 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Stainless does scratch - at least our fridge did. Never did figure out who the culprit was but someone took a scouring pad to it and left a web of circular scratches shortly after we bought it Mad . On the other hand, I've gone gangbusters with a scouring pad in a stainless steel sink and never had an issue and I would think they would probably use a similar grade stainless for a cooktop.

I have an electric glass stove now and while I hate electric, it is super easy to clean. I have scratched it though - there's a bunch of surface pitting from when things overcooked on it (apparently acid-y things can etch the glass), and a big scratch from I don't know what exactly what - I think a worker guy did it while installing the microwave.

Looking at both photos, I suspect the gas on glass would be easier to clean and hide messes a little better (assuming you can lift up the grates to clean them and they are not permanently attached).

Whenever I have an appliance question that is specific like yours, I post here:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/appl

or here:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/kitchbath

People are incredibly helpful on those forums. The site recently got swallowed up by houzz, so it's a little less friendly now, but I bet you'd still get a bunch of people to weigh in.

Good luck! I think both cooktops are really pretty!

Posts: 3830 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have gas on glass. That edge can very easily break and crack. I have replaced my glass once already and it is again broken. I'll just get a new range when induction gets cheaper. Go with either a completely surrounded glass or metal.

--------------------------------
“Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.” - David Icke

Posts: 10949 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Lisa thanks for those links, I'm looking at their painting discussions!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel scratches. It's the nature of the beast.

Posts: 20711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
SK - the home decorating forum is where you'll find all the painting color discussion you could ever want.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/decor

There's a paint forum too, but it's a little slow.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/paint

All of these forums used to be hosted on this little homemade site that someone created in his basement called gardenweb. But a few years ago, it got bought out by houzz which is like a combination merchandiser and big marketing platform for professional home decorators and contractors. So there's a lot of pros on the forums now who can be a little mean with their answers. It's not this friendly little tight crew of homeowners anymore. But there's enough of the old guard left that I still go there -- you can definitely get great info about any kind of remodel project -- you just have to wade through more obnoxious people than you used to.

Posts: 3830 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This is a bit of an aside, but we have a gas range, and Mary Anna hates it.

She has always cooked on an electric cooktop, and she prefers electric. But me, I like gas.

And then I have a small one-burner standalone induction cooktop. IT IS FABULOUS. If you need to heat something quickly, it heats really fast. (Imagine halving the time of a large pot of water.) And turns off the heat instantly. But the downside ... the Quirt v2.0's hate it, because it makes clad pots vibrate, and that hurts their ears. (I cannot hear it.)

Posts: 41799 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
who can be a little mean

Lisa, I think I saw some of that already!! Eeker

I don't think I'd be brave enough to share my photos there!

Quirt, Mr. SK loves gas ranges too! Unfortunately, we don't have one now and we won't have one after we move either. He's figure out how to adjust, but for the kind of cooking he does, he says gas works a lot better.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8267 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Personally, I prefer stainless steel. It may get scratched with aggressive cleaning, but it won't break.

I like gas for cooking. I grew up in a home with electric (no gas on our farm) and knew how to use it, but I've cooked on gas my entire adult life and like it for its quick response and wide adjustment.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

Posts: 6361 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We have stainless gas and it's scratched. Such is life.

We had a glass electric cooktop in our AZ abode, and I thought it was nice. You could clean it with all sorts of evil chemical concoctions. However, note that it does stain as well. All our glass burners had some form of discoloration, usually a white-ish film of some sort. I could never get it off, but if I'm being honest I didn't try all that hard, other than to clean it like mad. Particularly problematic was when pasta boiled over. The starchy water seemed to really discolor the (black) glass.

On the other hand, I think the black gas on glass ones look really cool and space-agey. Just not sure how long they would remain that way, at least in my house.

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like white appliances.

They don’t have these problems.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We have stainless and it does get a scratch here and there. It's just gonna happen, at least on our cooktop. Important to wipe it down following the "grain" of the metal.

I do like white in principle because of cleaning issues, but don't have any at the moment.

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Posts: 11676 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post