well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bronto Ribs!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bronto Ribs!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We found these at a farm store when we went to Santa Barbara. I've learned since that they are more properly called "plate ribs", but I liked the bronto description so much that I bought 5 pounds. 4 ribs = 5 pounds.

I put a beef rub on them and smoked them over maple wood at 275 degrees for 9 hours. They're very tasty - tender without being stringy.

I'd like to find out where to get them locally. They'd be very impressive at a cookout.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
How much of the weight is in the bones, do you think? One rib is a meal, I presume.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure on the weight of the bones. They’re large but don’t seem to weigh much.

One rib was plenty for me for dinner. I ate a half a rib for lunch it was very satisfying.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Now I'm hungry

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I learned why you hardly ever see plate ribs. The extra meat on them is there at the expense of meat used for ribeye steaks - a more expensive cut by far.

No wonder they're so good.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Farm raised brontosaurus or wild foraged? Big Grin

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21315 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin