well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you do with all the leftover turkey?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you do with all the leftover turkey?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
We have a small crew so slowly eating it as leftovers and sandwiches won’t get the job done.

I was thinking of making a bunch of individual-sized turkey pot pies (in muffin tins) and freezing them.

What other ideas are out there?

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I make turkey rice soup and freeze individual portions.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ATK turkey tetrazzini.

And I make turkey broth with the carcass, which turns into turkey noodle soup with veggies and diced turkey meat.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Was looking for something else and stumbled upon this.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coo..._leftovers_reci.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I found a recipe for dim sum like dumplings made with chopped cooked turkey. Going to try those.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We did a chicken this year, but the leftover-usage recipes are the same.

I like to make turkey salad. My usual recipe is just chopped turkey, boiled eggs, mayonnaise, and chopped sweet pickles. This year's low carb version was very good. I swapped out the sweet pickles for radishes, green onions, and dill pickles.

I also like to make stock out of the carcass and I usually use that to make vegetable soup. This year, I just used it for stock.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I did stock with the carcass for the first time ever this year. Froze it in plastic bags. I seem to make a lot of things in the instant pot that require a little bit of chicken broth.

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My son's favorite Thanksgiving leftover meal was a sandwich loaded down with...all of it.

Lay down a slice of thick-cut bread
Cover it with slices of turkey
Spread the turkey with cornbread dressing
Warm the giblet gravy, but not so hot that it flows off the sandwich, drizzle heavily on turkey and cornbread
Spread the other piece of bread with a bunch of cranberry sauce and assemble

You probably have to be a seventeen-year-old boy to survive this, so I don't know if he still does it.

Once, when he was seventeen-ish, he thought that we'd run out of the critical ingredient and he was going to wait a year for another Thanksgiving sandwich extravaganza. The he found a tub in the back of the refrigerator. You could hear him all over the house when he cried out,

"MORE GRAVY! There is a God!"

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It must be heartwarming when your kids get religion.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Turkey enchiladas or turkey quesadillas!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
It must be heartwarming when your kids get religion.

Indeed!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ok, for the record, my steamed/fried dumplings (Gyosa) that I used chopped cooked turkey in (instead of pork and shrimp) were not worth the time it took to put them together. The turkey is just TOO strong a taste, especially the dark meat. Turkey really isn’t my favorite anyway - it’s all the fixin’s that I like - and I’m thinking next year I might cook chickens instead...

Smiler Jodi