well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Famous Author Meets Chicago Elite, With Photobomb

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famous Author Meets Chicago Elite, With Photobomb
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Extra points if Nina or AdagioM can identify the sweatshirt.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So I arrive at the designated meeting place to have lunch with Mary Anna, and lo and behold the same guy who was photobombing yesterday's pictures with kluurs shows up again and follows us around all over the place. He elbowed his way into the picture in front of the Chagall mosaic and I ended up in the background.

I think he's sweet on Mary Anna. Big Grin

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am. Smiler

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Looks like Black Butte to me!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Looks like Black Butte to me!

Ding, ding, ding!

A few miles north of Sisters, Oregon, for those who do not know.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Here are Quirt and WTG, silhouetted against a magnificent Tiffany dome and a fabulously ornate former public library. Something about downtown Chicago makes me long to be a Gilded Age robber baron, just so I can fit in with the decor.

It was jaw-dropping, truly.

Truly. This is the former public library's secondary backup stained-glass dome. Do you know how opulent the public libraries of my acquaintance have been? The answer is "Not at all." Those robber barons really knew how to do it right.

And here is a Tiffany glass mosaic that is mysteriously called a "dome" on its accompanying interpretive placard. I would call it a vault, but what do I know? It lofts over the former Marshall Fields department store, which is currently a Macy's. This is an amazingly magnificent dome/vault for a place of commerce. I loved the iridescent colors. Chicago is rich in beautiful glass--Chagall made windows out of it for the museum and mosaics out of it for a park. The theaters glisten with sparkly shards. I'm guessing that it took about a million person-hours to make and install all this stuff. It's really quite lovely.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Like the pictures.
The pictures of the library changed my mental image of Chicago.
I usually picture the freeways where work is going on under sheets of plastic in the cold.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Nice!

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I had an absolutely wonderful time. I met Mary Anna a few years ago at a piano party at kluurs, but it was the first time for meeting Quirt. We all hit it off immediately as if we'd known each other for years...oh, wait....

We had a bit of lunch at the French Market in the train station. We had planned to catch a tour at the Chapel in the Sky but when we got there learned it had been cancelled, so we went on an expedition around the Loop, including a stop at the Chagall Four Seasons mosaic in the nearby Chase Plaza.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/e...allsfourseasons.html

Besides going to the Chicago Cultural Center (formerly the Chicago Public Library) to see the two domes, we also stopped by the hotel where Quirt and MA were staying. It was formerly (we repurpose a lot around here) the Chicago Athletic Association and it's been converted to a hotel. Very cool men's club decor; we sat around in huge leather chairs and chatted for a while.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Ho...hicago_Illinois.html

We also traveled over to Marshall Field's (never Macy's to this native Chicagoan) to see the Tiffany dome/vault over there.

I think the Evanses have seen enough mosaic tile to last them a lifetime.

March has been a good bit colder than usual and we all braved some pretty gusty winds during our walk. Hopefully they'll be back soon when the weather is nicer and they don't have to put up with wind chills in the 20s!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
What wind chill? I was wearing a sweatshirt and I was fine. Big Grin But our Floridian thought she was in Alaska.

It was wonderful to meet you at long last, wtg! I definitely want you as part of our piano retirement community. (Or maybe I want to be a part of YOUR retirement community. Smiler )