well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Nope, Alec Baldwin Shouldn't Be Prosecuted
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nope, Alec Baldwin Shouldn't Be Prosecuted
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Yes, those are the rules for handling a gun.

Are those the same rules that are taught on every movie set and even this movie set?

And aren’t those the rules that are violated in every firearm accident?

And how come Dick Cheney wasn’t prosecuted when he shot his buddy in the face? Unlike Baldwin, he loaded the gun, knew it had live ammunition in it, aimed it, and pulled the trigger on purpose.

Isn't that whataboutism?

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I was surprised that they chose to prosecute as well. I think P*D's assessment is probably accurate: the opportunity for the DA to get their name in the press on a high profile case.

I mean how far do we stretch the chain of responsibility? There were multiple people before Baldwin who failed in their responsibility, and it was their job to check.

Given the current situation, let's say that a professional football player was given the OK to play in a game by the team doctor, the onsite concussion dude, and his personal doctor. He plays in the game and suffers another tackle, causing another concussion, but this time more serious--enough that he is permanently disabled. Can he sue the guy who tackled him?

I think it's bizarre.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
There are reasons to have live ammo on set - though clearly it shouldn’t have been in that gun at that moment. When it first happened Baldwin was thought to be partially responsible because of other safety factors on the set, which he was responsible in his role as Producer.

I know many of my show biz friends are really angry about the whole thing because it is one event in a long list of cases of unsafe working conditions for the film crews.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4082 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why that gun had live ammo in it. Has that been explained?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No, we have never been offered an explanation of why live ammo was present on set, or how it got into the gun.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I was surprised that they chose to prosecute as well. I think P*D's assessment is probably accurate: the opportunity for the DA to get their name in the press on a high profile case.

I mean how far do we stretch the chain of responsibility? There were multiple people before Baldwin who failed in their responsibility, and it was their job to check.

Given the current situation, let's say that a professional football player was given the OK to play in a game by the team doctor, the onsite concussion dude, and his personal doctor. He plays in the game and suffers another tackle, causing another concussion, but this time more serious--enough that he is permanently disabled. Can he sue the guy who tackled him?

I think it's bizarre.

That's not a good analogy. There's no indication in your example that the tackler did anything wrong. However, that armorer in the Variety article said that Baldwin did violate safety protocols.

A closer example might be if the tackler tried to rip the guy's head off by twisting his face mask, and the guy got hurt as a result.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
No, we have never been offered an explanation of why live ammo was present on set, or how it got into the gun.

That plot sounds like an old episode of Colombo.

Who put live ammo in the stage gun? Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, there really WAS a Columbo episode that features a set gun. Not quite the same outcome, but blanks versus real bullets.

And it has William Shatner!

Fade Into Murder

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ken White (aka Popehat) discussed this case and thinks there’s a decent chance Baldwin will have to accept some jail time in his plea or risk 18 months if a jury trial goes wrong.

He said it easily meets the state statute’s definition (“without due caution”) and furthermore Baldwin had painted himself into a corner with his public comments.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Baldwin also apparently did an interview with the police voluntarily without counsel. Not smart.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baldwin had painted himself into a corner with his public comments.

I was just reading this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/0...t-5th-amendment.html

Takeaway? Don’t talk to the police without your lawyer present — ever.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
You know, I don't have high confidence in the thoroughness or thoughtfulness of a prosecutor who files charges based on a law enacted AFTER a supposed crime was committed. One whose office then impugns the integrity of the defense lawyers who identified the prosecutor's ethical (or competency) lapse.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Childish response by the DA but consistent with their typical worldview.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Aside from all of the legal stuff, I can't imagine how Baldwin deals with the emotional side of things. Can you imagine killing a friend or acquaintance in such a situation? Seeing them fall before your eyes - as you shot them? I cannot imagine the depth of horror I'd feel. Were it me, I'd probably replay that moment a thousand times in a day - for years. And she had children and a husband - and a life ahead of her. The guilt - even though an accident - would be overwhelming.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post