well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Kale

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2203927497

01 August 2020, 09:10 AM
wtg
Kale
Anybody here made kale crisps? Kale has been in each of our CSA boxes and I'm looking for a different way to prepare it....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

01 August 2020, 09:14 AM
rontuner
MrsTuner has made them

De-vein it
tear it in pretty big pieces
spray it with olive oil
spread on sheet pan
toss on rock salt or seasoning of choice
bake 350 - watch till done - it goes from soft to burnt quickly!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

01 August 2020, 11:51 AM
jon-nyc
Maybe blanched and sautéed with a little bacon.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

01 August 2020, 05:53 PM
dolmansaxlil
I think kale chips are overrated and a waste of kale.

We use kale interchangeably with spinach. I’ve put it into lasagna, a fabulous gnocchi with sausage recipe, stir fries, soups... also just sautéed with butter and garlic it’s delicious.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

01 August 2020, 05:58 PM
BeeLady
I have...they don't float my boat..kinda tasteless and dangerous...easy to breathe them in while eating.

I prefer kale sauteed and added to a fritata with some feta and red pepper flakes.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

01 August 2020, 09:18 PM
Cindysphinx
Just don't over salt your kale chips. The salt condenses on it. Use way less than you think you'll need.
01 August 2020, 10:24 PM
Mary Anna
I've tried to love kale. I don't hate it. It's just...okay.

It's very similar to collards, but they have more of the cabbagy "funky" flavor when that's what I want. Spinach has less "funk" when that's what I'm in the mood for. Arugula, turnip greens, and mustard greens are good for a sharper flavor.

Sometimes it comes in my CSA bag, so I'd like a killer kale recipe, preferably easy. Dol's suggestions sound good. Anybody else have any ways they like to fix it?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

02 August 2020, 11:32 AM
Cindysphinx
I make a recipe that starts with garlic and onion. Add Fresh or canned diced tomato. Add chopped Kale. Add some stock. Add ordinary spice, like salt, red pepper flakes, Oregano. Let it cook down. Add one or two cans rinsed cannelini beans. Cook, add juice of half lemon or balsamic. Add a tablespoon sugar if tomatoes make it taste metallic.

Recipe is on epicurious.
02 August 2020, 11:43 AM
wtg
Ooh....I think I have all the ingredients for Cindy's recipe...that sounds very good, and different from the ways I've prepared it in the past.

Also, I hadn't considered throwing in some sausage (duh) and white beans, which is a classic Italian combo. I'll have to look at Jack Bishop's great book The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook.

I also looked around on Epicurious and found some other possibilities...

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

03 August 2020, 06:26 PM
wtg
I'm sure you've all been waiting with breathless anticipation to find out how I prepared the kale.

Temps plummeted here today and we're in the mid-60s under a heavily overcast sky. Feels enough like fall that I put on jeans. Also cool enough to cook soup, so I decided to cook a batch of.....

Soup Roberto!

Came out great. It's sort of the same combination of ingredients as Cindy's recipe, but I added the spicy Italian turkey sausage that's part of the Roberto recipe. Skipped the lemon today but I might add a dash of balsamic vinegar (sounded intriguing) when I reheat it for lunch later this week.

Bazootiehead-in-training