well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Spring has Sprung
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring has Sprung
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
85 here today and the rest of the country can’t be far behind.

What are your garden plans? Have you ordered seeds? Major changes or maintaining the status quo?

Why can’t I get terragon seed to germinate?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
We are running about a month late. Too chilly to even enjoy working outdoors today. No fun trimming with a heavy jacket on.

Some crocus, chionodoxa, and falafel of daffs starting to appear.

Have not yet spring raked.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We just finished the driest March on record.

We want to do some potatoes in bins, but haven't secured seed yet. It's probably way too late to mail order some. I'm going to try a local nursery. Other than that, I popped some radish and cilantro seeds in a pot last week. I am whacking back the rosemary, lavender, and sage by the front door. I think this year will be more of cleaning up and getting the yard back under control than planting new stuff.

I've lost a lot of arborvitae over the last couple years. I'm not sure if I will replace them with more arborvitae or something else or nothing.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’ve got things growing too fast in containers and there is still snow on the ground.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Here, too.

What a joy!

(Good luck, gardening peeps!)

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I planted carrots, radishes, onions, chard, rapini, arugula, and lettuce about three weeks ago. They're all up or starting to come up. The temps were supposed to get down to 33 or so over the weekend, so I covered the seedlings and they seem fine.

I was seduced by some Early Girl tomato seedlings on Sunday, even thought the traditional tomato-planting time around here is two weeks away. It's forecast to be warm all week. If that holds another week after that, then they should be fine. I guess I'm trusting that climate change is real.

Based on this same logic, I planted some seeds that it may be a shade early for--cucumbers, squash, marigolds, borage--and some other seeds that will probably be fine even if we get another cold snap--dill, cilantro, and lettuce.

I think it's been a few months since I mentioned how much I love the elevated beds that Quirt built for me. He's going to build me some more in time to plant summer stuff in May. Cool

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I bought a bag of potting soil today. Sometime this week I will start the Dahlias for cuttings. Several packet of seeds on the counter waiting till mid-month to be sown indoors. I made a list of tasks that need to be done outside once the snow is gone; it's a long list.

We've lost a couple feet of snow. Another 2-2.5' to go. It will go quickly then we'll wait for the ground to thaw.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
85 here today and the rest of the country can’t be far behind.

What are your garden plans? Have you ordered seeds? Major changes or maintaining the status quo?

Why can’t I get terragon seed to germinate?

Plans for this year: Create a new vegetable bed in the area where the previous owner had hers. I need to rotate my crops and need a bit more space to do so. The tomatoes, peas, chard all need a new location but I confiscated one of my raised beds for the strawberries, hence the need for a new bed. I'm hoping for a good strawberry crop this year because I lifted all the plants last year and thinned them. It'll be good. My rhubarb bed needs to be dug up as soon as the soil will allow so I can rid it of bishop's weed--nasty stuff. I have to move my Asiatic lilies asap this spring to try and eradicate a persistent pest. If plans pan out, I'll have a new arbor with a grape vine growing over it... grape jelly.

Other than expanding my veggie garden, I plan to get a few more blueberry bushes and another fruit tree or two. I put a plum in last year and I also really want apples and pears.

Are you trying to sow tarragon indoors or out?

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We're finally getting some rain today.

On a related note, I need new wiper blades.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Beautiful weekend here, followed by more typical chilly rainy/cloudy mornings and gray afternoons, but highs are in the 50s. Heard on NPR last night that planting season in the NW is delayed about a month due to the late winter surge we had in late Feb/early March.

Right now it's foggy and gray, rain in the forecast for the next week. Pretty standard. Phoenix has already hit the mid 90s a few times. May will typically bring the really hot weather.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Says the man in Cali...

Bernard, I would expect got some snow last night..It was forecast here in mountain regions..

The 20 degree forecast last night had me bringing in my lame pot of pansies till the cold passed.

Seems to be taking too much time to come here this year year..or maybe I am just more impatient.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We had a tremendous thunderstorm last night, albeit not the most tremendous of this rather dramatic spring. There were 60 mph winds and nickel-sized hail.

I lay there thinking about the garden and all its dainty little seedlings. (And also about whether we should move to the storm shelter, but the internet said no, so I stayed in bed.)

I just checked the yard and found no damage. There are still flowers on the redbud, pear, plum,and apricot trees, and the garden is just as I left it yesterday. Either the hail I heard was smaller than that reported on the internet, or those baby plants are really tough.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
High winds yesterday through the night. I hate night winds.

20 mph with gusts to 40. A lot of them.
then the winds came back for today. Sun, but too windy to work.

So anxious to be out. Tried to upload pics for the first time but they are too large. Those on my FB page can see them...blue flowers!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Spring has definitely sprung in PDX! April is the prettiest month in Portland. Everything bursts into bloom.

I try to do my favorite bridge walk on the waterfront when the cherry trees are blooming.

The walk is 2.7 miles along the Willamette River. It crosses the Hawthorne Bridge and the Steel Bridge, making a big loop along the Vera Katz Eastbank Esplanade and Waterfront Park on the west side.

I don’t garden much, so I enjoy someone else’s work instead! Although I think I’m going to replace a couple dead blueberry bushes. All but one of my 20 year old bushes have given up the ghost.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I found a Mexican terragon plant in a 4” pot at Lowe’s. The internet tells me that its a better choice for my climate than the French kind.

I’ll find a French terragon plant, plant it alongside, and get back to you.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post