well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano advice for some friends

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano advice for some friends
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
We have some friends who are moving and don't want to move their piano, so they asked our advice. we told them that it might not bring much in a sale and that donating it for a tax deduction might be their best bet, but we also said that we'd consult the collective wisdom here.

It's an older piano, a small spinet that the fallboard calls a "Minipiano," and I'm not familiar with the make. Any thoughts?

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I just tuned one of those today!

They are tiny, more compressed inside than a normal spinet.

With so many people downsizing and pretty much giving pianos away, even decent pianos aren't going for much. That being said, this isn't a decent piano...

They may be lucky to find someone to take it away for free, though someone may be interested in the oddity factor??

Facebook marketplace might be a good start, but a local facebook group is better - it seems there are always families looking for a little piano, no matter how much I tell them not to consider a spinet!
sorry

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's what I figured.
And we kinda already told them that, but who wants to be the one to tell somebody, "You're not gonna be able to sell that. I hope you don't have to pay somebody to haul it away"?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I heard those are highly valued in Nigeria.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I heard those are highly valued in Nigeria.

Jonnnnnnnnnnnn~ Big Grin

Well, that D7 isn't going to do anyone any good.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes, and a sunken key...

Yeah, tell them, apologies, but it's not good news!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It is lighter than other pianos, so that could be a plus for someone trying to get it in to their place cheap!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
PSO

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Freecycle might help.
freecycle.org

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I think you are lucky if you don’t have to pay somebody to take some of these pianos out of your house.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I would be truthful since they seem to respect your advice...

You may be paying someone to have it removed.

It has lived its life.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have had too many people ask for my advice who then turned on me when they did not like the advice.
I would avoid them.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post