well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Always pays to read the reviews (hey, pj!)

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2163986797

21 October 2022, 08:04 PM
wtg
Always pays to read the reviews (hey, pj!)
So I bought a little desk for a corner of the living room, something to put my laptop on. Ordered it from Wayfair.

I needed some sort of task chair for the desk and started looking at Wayfair, thought I had some doubts about buying a chair I didn't have a chance to sit in.

I was reading the reviews for a cute task chair. The person said they didn't like it and thought it was overpriced (it was maybe $150 bucks). They said they returned it and went to Goodwill, where they found exactly what they needed for $2. I figured "hmmmmm...."

Went to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in my town. Place has an odd selection of stuff. Found exactly what I was looking for. It needs a minor repair and it wasn't two bucks, but it was a damn sight cheaper than the stuff I had been looking at online.

Also found some halogen bulbs for our dining room chandelier, and also some of those pencil fluorescents that we need for our kitchen undercabinet lights. The bulbs were a buck each, a total bargain; the big box stores charge $7 or 8. They were Sylvania to boot, and made in Italy. The made in China versions I've been buying at Menards or online are total carp, and way more expensive. This is the second time I've found these kinds of bulbs at ReStore; the last time was ten years ago and I bought out what they had.

And we supported Habitat! Win-win.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

21 October 2022, 08:10 PM
wtg
Saw a couple of other interesting items at Habitat...

I have no place for this, and it's not really a style that would fit in our home, but it was totally cool. It's a wardrobe. A little pricey for me at $400 but still... .

The drawers inside weighed a ton; I think they're made of solid wood.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

21 October 2022, 08:18 PM
wtg
And another item just for pj....

It's a small Lane cabinet. Was in pretty good shape, though it could use refinishing and the drawer pulls were kind of beat up. Just a really nice size, a very sweet piece.

It was only $65. I wanted to take it home and refinish it but literally have no place to put it. And Mr wtg was adamant that we don't need another piece of furniture to get rid of in a couple of years...

Bazootiehead-in-training

21 October 2022, 08:26 PM
Steve Miller
Speaking as a retired facilities manager, I’d advise you look in to real office furniture. Steelcase. Hon. Herman Miller. The Chinese stuff is trash.

I found a place called W.R. Mason and it may be regional. Seller - and reseller - of real office furniture. I bought task chairs at $40 each that will be in fine shape when I pass them to my grandchildren.

That said, Habitat is fun! I’ll have to see there is one around here.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

21 October 2022, 08:30 PM
Steve Miller
Looks like they’ve closed the nearest one but there is another one downtown - 15 miles away. ThumbsUp

21 October 2022, 08:36 PM
wtg
Yup, real office furniture is the way to go. We have one of those Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the room we use as an office and it's great. A friend had two of them and gave us one she no longer needed.

Is this the place you're talking about?

https://www.wbmason.com/

Bazootiehead-in-training

21 October 2022, 08:51 PM
Steve Miller
Yes. The local one has a big warehouse full of used office furniture. Cheap.

My office chair story:

I bought a $400 Herman Miller chair, like new for $40. Looked great, figured I’d shampoo it and I’d be good to go.

I don’t know how many offices allow cats but this one did. A shorthair gray cat from all indications. I vacuumed it several times to no effect.

Turned out that whatever indestructible fabric they used on that chair clings tenaciously to cat hair. I ended up using tweezers to pluck out one hair at a time.

Took a while but I’m retired and have the time. Still a great deal! ThumbsUp

21 October 2022, 08:59 PM
wtg
Big Grin

WB Mason has one location in the Chicago area, maybe 30 minutes away. Will have to check it out!

Thanks for the lead....

Bazootiehead-in-training

21 October 2022, 09:22 PM
RealPlayer
I bought Steelcase metal cabinets second-hand for my sheet music years ago. Don’t know what I’d do without them.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

22 October 2022, 09:56 AM
ShiroKuro
WTG those are great finds! I like that wardrobe, the case is neat.

Re office chairs... it's so important to have a good chair for any kind of deskwork, computer typing or otherwise!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

23 October 2022, 07:30 PM
wtg
hey, pj...do you know what the name of the style on that Lane cabinet is? I think I recall you're a Lane guy....

Bazootiehead-in-training

23 October 2022, 09:43 PM
Steve Miller
From what I can tell, it’s Lane “tuxedo”.

Very attractive.

24 October 2022, 12:56 PM
wtg
Thanks, Steve. It is Tuxedo. I didn't notice the bowtie look that's even carried to the drawer pulls. I've seen some photos of a five drawer version that they're calling a highboy chest, so I'm guessing this one is a lowboy. When they're in topnotch condition they command megabucks.

I may have to ignore Mr wtg's protestations and go back to see if it's still there. It's such a nice piece I hate to miss out on it.

Bazootiehead-in-training

24 October 2022, 02:04 PM
Steve Miller
It’s a nice size and it looks like it’s in very good shape.

Looks like the finish just needs evening out and I think Howard’s would work perfectly.

24 October 2022, 02:51 PM
wtg
Mr wtg says you're not helping.... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training