well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It was all going so well...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It was all going so well...
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
We'd often observed in our small family that everyone gets along pretty well. Dad died years ago, mom is still in her house and my two brothers families are doing well in different parts of the country.

We felt a little struggle from my younger brother and his family when our oldest came out 10 years ago, or so. (They said they would pray for him...) When he announced his plans to marry (just happened last Friday!!) my brother's family announced that they wouldn't be attending because they don't feel that gay marriage is a cause for celebration, though they think they can still treat him the same.???

Oh boy. Won't be doing Thanksgiving together. (I feel bad for mom. Remember she has Mesothelioma which has just drifted into her lymph nodes so is progressing - pretty sure that is why younger is coming to town this year.)

My brothers don't normally come here to be with mom or us, but this year younger brother and family scheduled a trip to stay with mom for the weekend. We will see about Christmas.

Not really looking for answers, not sure if there are answers. Just wanted to vent a bit.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm really sorry. It's very difficult when families have philosophical disagreements (and when one side is clearly wrong).

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this. Feel free to vent as much as you need to!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18433 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
though they think they can still treat him the same.

I have a take on this that might not earn me any credit with your younger brother ...

This shows a striking lack of empathy. And now I'm gonna go off the deep end. I'm guessing there may be a religious root to this disagreement. Statements like this are characteristically Christian ways of hypocritically (pharisaically) keeping within the letter of the tradition while completely ignoring the spirit of the tradition. This "language of acceptance" is NOT accepting behavior. Grrrrr.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
P*D - that's the way I see it too.

Our youngest pointed out last night that it would've just been more acceptable to him if they just responded to the invite by saying that they wouldn't be able to attend. (coming from out of town.) Adding on the "we don't feel it is a reason for celebrating" "we can't support that behavior" just took it up a few notches.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
P*D - that's the way I see it too.

Our youngest pointed out last night that it would've just been more acceptable to him if they just responded to the invite by saying that they wouldn't be able to attend. (coming from out of town.) Adding on the "we don't feel it is a reason for celebrating" "we can't support that behavior" just took it up a few notches.

Absolutely. He wasn't just refusing to condone. He was actively announcing his disagreement.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry. What a hurtful thing for them to do - to spell out the reasons like that. (Wondering, though, would you have been as unhappy if they’d just said no, knowing that this was likely the reason?)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Virtue signaling. He has it down pat.

I'm sorry for the pain that his actions and words have caused. It will be his loss to miss out on what will be a joyous occasion for the rest of the family.

How about you adopt some new family members? Please tell your son that Aunt wtg sends her absolute best wishes on his happy news! Really. He's probably over the moon with his good news; it's a shame if it gets overshadowed...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Jodi - I can't know for sure, but it feels like it might have gone over better for us.

The "cluelessness" of it all just surprised me too. In an exchange of emails, it seemed he had no idea that their statements might cause pain and anger...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yes to what P*D said, esp re lack of empathy. Frowner

quote:
In an exchange of emails, it seemed he had no idea that their statements might cause pain and anger...

I wonder if maybe you should let him know that.... I've been thinking a lot about this, and about what the best way to react is. In general, I always like the idea of taking the high road, but it's not clear to me what the high road is here.

For example, I don't think "the high road" necessarily means avoiding conflict or letting people get away with being hurtful.

I also think the high road involves protecting those we love.

Which is all to say, I think you would be very justified in letting him know that his actions have caused hurt and anger, both for your son and for you. But perhaps in a very carefully worded letter/email rather than in a confrontational conversation?

What does your son think about all of this?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18433 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
it seemed he had no idea that their statements might cause pain and anger...

My brother and his Klan (yes, Klan) may soon get a loud profane earful of my thoughts on their wilful ignorance and lack of empathy.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to sneak in a statement that "we not only support gay marriage but also believe that slavery is wrong, that people who engage in sex before marriage should not be executed and other things that are most likely inconsistent with the teachings your faith. We'll have to agree to disagree on morality."

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I think it's a damn shame that they felt entitled to make that comment at all. They had to know it would cause hurt in the family, at a time when your mother very likely wants nothing more than her family to be together and harmonious.

They could have simply begged off the wedding for schedule without casting judgement on it, an attitude I suspect everyone already knew they held.

Maturity includes understanding where your rights end and others' begin.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry this is happening in your family. I echo what everyone else has said here. I just don't get it. People are people, not political or religious pawns.

"Virtue signaling." Exactly. It's so judgmental, drives me crazy.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
So sorry for the pain in your family, ron, at what should be a joyous time.

That's especially considering the fallout to come at other holidays and major family events.

Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post