well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Will Preparation via Software

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Preparation via Software
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Has anyone used a wills/estates software program?

My dad would like to update his will, and given the simplicity of his estate we think a basic program will be fine.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have dabbled on the edges of this. I think the biggest part is making sure that your will is legal in the state in which you live.

I was the executor of my mother's estate. Her will was accepted by the court without probate.

I copied her will and changed the names and a few other relevant details and called it good.

I have seen templates online for wills and other documents. I've used templates for promisory notes and lease agreements, although those tend to be more fill-in-the-blank affairs than a will.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I would add the secondary consideration of making sure in advance (if possible) that the will won’t be contested. Not every parent is that open to the transparency required for that, though.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Do. A. Trust. Why do you want your estate to go through probate?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Do. A. Trust. Why do you want your estate to go through probate?

+1.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I would add the secondary consideration of making sure in advance (if possible) that the will won’t be contested. Not every parent is that open to the transparency required for that, though.

Please clarify.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Please clarify.

I believe he means you should let your kids know in advance what the will says so that if there are any disputes you can address them while you are alive.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post