well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Next up: Chicken Korma. I had it for lunch and they’re lucky I didn’t go back and stick my head in the pot. This stuff is amazing!

The s recipe looks pretty straightforward. if it turns out I may try one of the more authentic recipes with 20 some spices.

I may try that this weekend.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I made Butter Chicken using the recipe from the Indian Instant Pot cookbook. It was fabulous and absolutely mindless; you don't even saute the ingredients before pressurizing. Just dump it all in the pot and let it cook.

Tons of other versions of Butter Chicken out there; I'm going to try several before selecting a favorite to post here.

On a related note...The first Indian recipe I tried was AM's adaptation of pj's curry recipe. It was really tasty, but everything cooked to the point that all the ingredients (including the chicken) fell apart. I'm thinking I may reduce the cooking time on pj's chicken spinach curry recipe from 14 to 10 minutes...that's the time that the Butter Chicken recipe called for, and it came out perfectly. I'm hoping that the veggies keep their shape with the reduced time.

Will report results after I experiment.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
I made Butter Chicken using the recipe from the Indian Instant Pot cookbook. It was fabulous and absolutely mindless; you don't even saute the ingredients before pressurizing. Just dump it all in the pot and let it cook.

Tons of other versions of Butter Chicken out there; I'm going to try several before selecting a favorite to post here.

On a related note...The first Indian recipe I tried was AM's adaptation of pj's curry recipe. It was really tasty, but everything cooked to the point that all the ingredients (including the chicken) fell apart. I'm thinking I may reduce the cooking time on pj's chicken spinach curry recipe from 14 to 10 minutes...that's the time that the Butter Chicken recipe called for, and it came out perfectly. I'm hoping that the veggies keep their shape with the reduced time.

Could I trouble you to post the one you used, with the understanding that you might find something better? I bought chicken breasts just yesterday, and had planned to make them for dinner (and for leftovers for Mary Anna, when she gets back).

Thanks!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Coming right up...give me five minutes...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Looks like some of the online versions use yogurt in addition to the cream; that's one of the things I thought might be interesting to try.

The recipe says that this makes twice as much sauce as you need for a pound of chicken. We like lots of sauce, so we just used all of it in one recipe. You could increase the amount of chicken and just make a larger batch...

Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken ) from Indian Instant Pot Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre

1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)

5 or 6 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon minced ginger

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (I used 1/2 teaspoon and it was spicy enough for Mr WTG - I would have been OK with the whole teaspoon)

1 teaspoon ground paprika

2 teaspoons garam masala, divided (they have a recipe for making your own garam masala, but I used a blend I buy from The Spice House - let me know if you want the recipe from the cookbook)

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thights)

4 ounces butter, cut into cubes, or 1/2 cup cocount oil

1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream or full-fat coconut milk

1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro.

1. In the inner cooking pot of the Instant Pot, add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, 1 teaspoon of garam masala, cumin, and salt. Mix thorughly, then place the chicken pieces on top of the sauce.

2. Lock the lid into place. Set to high pressure cook. Cook for 10 minutes.

3. Let pressure release naturally. Unlock the lid. Remove chicken and set aside.

4. Using an immersion blender in the pot blend together all the ingredients into a smooth sauce (I didn't do this - there were a few tomato chunkettes, but otherwise it was already pretty smooth). Let the sauce cool for several minutes.

5. Add the butter cubes, cream, remaining 1 teaspoon of garam masala, and cilantro. Stir well. Sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

6. Remove half of the sauce and freeze it for later, or refrigerate for up to 3 days. (see my note above)

7. Add the chicken back to the sauce Preheat the IP by selecting Saute and adjust to low heat. Let the chicken heat through.

8. Serve over rice or raw cucumber noodles (what the heck are those?)

Recipe says you can make this vegetarian by replacing the chicken with tofu, vegetables, or paneer. It says to add 1/2 cup of water to the pot when you make the sauce. The tofu or paneer is added after the sauce is cooked. If you use veggies, they should be steamed separately and added after the sauce is cooked.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg, that sounds fantastic. I’ll bet cucumber noodles are cucumbers put through some sort of shredder.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm used the vegetables falling apart, based on the crock pot version. It makes the sauce thicker! But there are more noticeable veg chunks with the IP version. Still...12-13 minutes?

Currently making rice porridge (jook, congee). Comfort food! Going to roast brussels sprouts with some oyster sauce to put on top, after the pot says done with 30 minutes.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Omg, that sounds fantastic. I’ll bet cucumber noodles are cucumbers put through some sort of shredder.

I have a Vegetable sharpener , it makes lovely cucumber curls! I put them in sandwiches for high tea.

I think the the spiralizer wouldn't work as well with cucumbers as it does with zucchini.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Could I trouble you to post the one you used, with the understanding that you might find something better? I bought chicken breasts just yesterday, and had planned to make them for dinner (and for leftovers for Mary Anna, when she gets back).

Thanks!

I like the sound of this.

Unless I'm mistaken, we already own every single one of those ingredients except the fresh cilantro. (We have coconut milk not cream.) In case you're feeling inspired....

Big Grin

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I didn't feel inspired enough last night. (And my pantry blindness did not allow me to find the diced tomatoes.)

But Mary Anna gets home this morning, so perhaps tonight ... although we have our usual white meat vs. dark meat issue.

I'm not sure whether I'll be the head chef, the sous chef, or heading into this adventure independently. Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
I was expecting a different kind of instant pot...

jf

Glad to oblige.

quote:
Special delivery!

A Florida couple was shocked to discover 65 lbs. of marijuana stashed in their Amazon order, according to WFLA.

The couple reportedly knew something was off as soon as they picked up the 27-gallon storage totes they bought from the online retailer.

"They were extremely heavy, heavier than you would think from ordering four empty bins," the woman said.

She decided to open the bins, according to WFLA, and was met with the strong odor of marijuana. After digging through several layers of packaging, the anonymous woman discovered large quantities of the substance.

The woman immediately got in touch with Orlando police.

"When the first officer got there she was in disbelief," the woman told WFLA.

Authorities took the marijuana and began an investigation into where they originated from.

According to WFLA, the storage bins were shipped by Amazon "Warehouse Deals" through UPS from a facility in Massachusetts.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...er-article-1.3582832

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

I'm used the vegetables falling apart, based on the crock pot version. It makes the sauce thicker! But there are more noticeable veg chunks with the IP version. Still...12-13 minutes?

I missed the original pj recipe, so I never prepared the crock pot version and had nothing to compare to.

Mr WTG and I loved the flavors in dish. I did cut the chicken into smallish pieces and next time I plan to leave larger chunks....and your point about the sauce thickening is a good one...maybe I just need to have both large and small chunks of potato. The little ones will fall apart, and the big ones will stay intact.

We'll be glad to experiment with different cook times and ingredient chop sizes and report back with results, including photos.... ThumbsUp

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yummy Yummy Yummy

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I made Chicken Korma today using this recipe. It's a keeper!

Even with this simple recipe that doesn't use a lot of spices I still ended up dropping about $40 at the grocery store to get everything I needed, and we already had some of the spices. I see that WTFs Butter Chicken recipe uses pretty much the same spices so maybe I can use them up before they go bad.

Blend everything:

Pour in to pot and put chicken on top:

Blend in coconut milk (I've never used it before - does it always separate in the can?) and eat!

The sauce is thinner than what I get at the Indian take out place. If I understand the recipe correctly it's the cashews that thicken it. Maybe I'll put in more cashews next time.

[edit] Another recipe states that you have to use a blender because the food processer won't break down the cashews far enough. Maybe that's why the sauce is a bit thin.

The recipe calls for 1 pound of chicken and I used 1.5 pounds. There is easily enough sauce here for 2-2.5 pounds of chicken if you wanted to make a larger batch.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post