well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
That said, I'll probably burn them. I never have before, but it's never been 2020 before.

Smiler

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
This recipe has gone in to standard rotation at our house. Easy to do, ordinary ingredients and very good.

Red beans and rice in the instant pot

At the beginning of the pandemic I scored a big bag of "cranberry beans" and have been using those. Apparently they take longer to cook than the usual kidney beans because I have to cook for 50 minutes rather than the 40 minutes the recipe calls for.

I never remember to buy Cajun seasoning so I make my own. I leave out the salt because I like to control the salt level separately.

I think I'm an Instant Pot failure. Well, not for everything, but for things like red beans and rice.

I've made red beans and rice all my adult life. They're stupid easy to get right if you dump the stuff in the crockpot in the morning and turn it on. If you check it now and then (and I'm talking about checking it at lunch and an hour before dinner), you can deal with issues that crop up.

Sometimes they need a little more water. Sometimes they need a little extra seasoning. Who knows why? Maybe the sausage was underseasoned or less moist. I dunno. But it's easy to fix if you have the opportunity to take off the lid while cooking and check. The Instant Pot won't let me do that. So I've made crunchy beans in the Instant Pot. And I've made Instant Pot beans that were cooked to a paste. Maybe I need to do some trial and error, but why waste all that time and beans when I can just dump them in a crockpot and walk away for most of the day?

Anyway, I'm not trusting my New Year's Day black-eyed peas to an Instant Pot. They're too dang important this year. I'll probably just cook them on the stove, since I'll be in the kitchen working on the greens and such. That way, I'll have complete control of the proceedings.

That said, I'll probably burn them. I never have before, but it's never been 2020 before.

The Camellia red beans were great in the IP. The regular kidney beans were a little crunchier, could have used more time.

Nina: ewww on the poached farmed salmon!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sharon made corned beef a new way last night and it came out really well! The veg cook separately so they retain more color and texture than they do using the traditional method. The "baby potatoes" came out just right.

Instant pot corned beef with veggies.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That looks great. Will definitely try it.

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Always meant to circle back around to this thread...

Corned beef in the Instant Pot was fabulous. Not boiled and overcooked-tasting. I'll never cook it any other way.

And today, I saw this recipe for an IP Chicken Burrito Bowl. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds really interesting.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've made collard greens in the IP a couple of times lately, adapted from an online recipe.

Use the saute function to brown a generous handful of chopped bacon.

Add chopped onion and continue sauteing. (My bunch of collard was smallish, so I used half an onion.)

Add chopped collards, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and four cups of chicken broth. Set the IP to cook for five minutes. (It takes a while to reach pressure, so you're probably looking at 15-20 minutes cook time.) Let the pressure drop on its own.

I made cornbread while the IP was doing its thing, so everything was finished in about a half an hour. It was ambrosial. My grandmothers would have been amazed, as I'm sure they cooked their collards for hours.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Another recipe possibility. Chicken tikka masala.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

edit: It's prepared stovetop, not in the IP.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks really good and I think I have all of the ingredients. ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Haven’t tried this yet but am intrigued.

Dulce de Leche .

https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...e-5536624#reviewsTop

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
(It takes a while to reach pressure, so you're probably looking at 15-20 minutes cook time.) .

When I’m in a hurry I preheat the broth in the microwave.