well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I don’t have any particular health reason to cut way back on sugar, I just find that as I get older I don’t want sugar in my savory food. My Dad was the same way...

Makes me sound like a curmudgeon.

I think everybody has sound health reasons to limit their sugar consumption - especially Americans who add it to everything ridiculously.

Curmudgeon? Don't see why, but what matters is you'll be a long-lived, healthy curmudgeon. Better teeth too!

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
But at least you get dairy, Quirt. Becoming lactose-intolerant seems to be a rite of passage for many as we age. (Speaking of curmudgeon...)

I've never had a massive sweet tooth, except in desserts, which are supposed to be sweet. I always dilute fruit juice at least 50-50 with water, because it's way too sweet. I don't like "real" soda for the same reason, though I can drink diet soda.

Unfortunately, I haven't lost my taste for fried food. Frowner

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t have any particular health reason to cut way back on sugar, I just find that as I get older I don’t want sugar in my savory food. My Dad was the same way.

It’s kind of a problem. There are several restairants my family likes (Cracker Barrel in particular) where they put so much sugar in everything the only thing I’ll eat is scrambled eggs and I have to tell them not to add sugar to them.

Makes me sound like a curmudgeon.

Do they really put sugar in scrambled eggs?!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Dunno. I tell them not to just n case.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
If they use any seasoning mix, I bet it has salt, sugar, and MSG in it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
45 minutes on high is way too long for country style pork ribs.

In fact the whole (internet) recipe was a mess. I wonder if anyone ever actually tried it before they published it?

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We did yellow split peas in the Instant Pot last night, with a packet of Ethiopian spices that was part of a spice-of-the-every-so-often gift from Muffin's Sister.

Yum!

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kohls is advertising the IP Duo 60 for $79.99 with $15 "Kohls Cash" (store scrip) back.

Online sales start 12:01 AM on Monday. Store sales start Thursday, but I'd be willing to bet they run out of them.

http://kohls.shoplocal.com/koh...0PV&storeid=2600822#

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
45 minutes on high is way too long for country style pork ribs.

In fact the whole (internet) recipe was a mess. I wonder if anyone ever actually tried it before they published it?

I did about 40 minutes on medium, and let it de-pressurize on its own.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’ve done clam chowder and a bunch of recipes with chicken thighs, and they’ve all turned out fantastic. The neat thing is if you brown the skinned side of the chicken after you’ve sautéed the onions and celery, then layer everything in and leave the chicken on the top, it keeps that nice color to its skin. The size of the meat chunks affects the cooking time (longer if they are bigger, especially with pork and beef).

I made steel cut oats for the second time, and made a huge mistake - you cook them for about 3 minutes under pressure, but you need to let them depressurize on their own, and the second time I did it I was hungry flipped the steam let-off switch and all the goopy bubbly stuff came sputtering out of all the holes. Big yucky mess to clean up.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
By the way, Steve, Mary Anna and I saw a canned whole chicken at the supermarket in Oklahoma last night.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Quirtlet #2 made brown rice in the Instant Pot this morning. Came out perfect. (And there's a Trader Joe's in Oklahoma City that sells the brown jasmine rice that we like.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I made steel cut oats for the second time, and made a huge mistake - you cook them for about 3 minutes under pressure, but you need to let them depressurize on their own, and the second time I did it I was hungry flipped the steam let-off switch and all the goopy bubbly stuff came sputtering out of all the holes. Big yucky mess to clean up.

I used this recipe with McCann's steel cut oats:

https://www.kitchentreaty.com/...lnut-steel-cut-oats/

Cook for 10 minutes and immediately depressurize. I left out the flax and and chia seeds and used regular milk instead of almond milk. No problems.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I made sauerbraten last week. Anyone interested in the recipe? (Don't know if anyone likes German food).

It's one I've used for a long time in my stovetop pressure cooker and the results are consistently good....it eliminates the days of marinating beforehand. Brown the roast, dump everything in and you're good to go.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'd like the sauerbraten recipe!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post