well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Do I correctly understand that the IP will obsolete my collection of crockpots? Smiler

Also, can the rice insert nest inside a different insert so that one makes stew in the bottom and the rice cooks above?

I've always loved the idea of crockpots but in the am there is no time to prep a meal.

--------------------------------
OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
Do I correctly understand that the IP will obsolete my collection of crockpots? Smiler

Also, can the rice insert nest inside a different insert so that one makes stew in the bottom and the rice cooks above?

I've always loved the idea of crockpots but in the am there is no time to prep a meal.

Mary Anna gave me a present that was a nesting set of pots for the Instant Pot, so that you could cook different things simultaneously, but separately.

To my great shame, I have not tried them.

They are something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/EasySho...GJEP41BZACKJAH3J3TKS

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
And yes, they will obsolete crockpots, unless you want to keep them for warming or cooking separate dishes in separate containers or other reasons. I donated my rice cooker before I moved, I wouldn't use it any more.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I made split pea soup last night in the IP, done in less than an hour so I had 10 minutes for dinner before heading out to teach a class. Woot!

I'm giving my crock pot to a friend; I don't have room for it any more.

Giving my old rice cooker away, too, because of the new Zojirushi.

Kids are coming over tonight for PJ's chicken curry, IP version. Over rice, Zoji version.

I need to try the boiled egg trick. I've seen times listed for 5, 6, and 7 minutes. 1 cup water. Now where did I put the steamer rack?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Cool beans!
Does it have a 'hold warm' type setting one could use for service, as with soup, stew, or spiced cider (which last is the chief use of my crockpot) ?

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the first time I've opened this thread. But since it's been active I've been getting Facebook ads for an Instant Pot at Amazon. Creepy.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqaboo:
Cool beans!
Does it have a 'hold warm' type setting one could use for service, as with soup, stew, or spiced cider (which last is the chief use of my crockpot) ?

There is a Keep Warm setting.

Just a note: the various models of Instant Pot have different built-in functions. They go from "6-in-1" to "10-in-1". Check the specs for the unit you are considering to ascertain which functions it includes. And they vary in which parameters you can modify in the preset functions.

The models (from least expensive to most): Lux (which I think may be discontinued) Duo, Duo Plus, Ultra 10-in-1 and Smart Bluetooth. I think the Duo is up to V3; the unit jodi got at the salvage place is a V2. My guess is it really doesn't matter a whole lot. Most people will use the IP for a few basic functions.

http://instantpot.com/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have yet to use any settings besides “sauté” and “manual/timed.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Does it dust and do the floors? Wink Because that's what I really want.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10574 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I just made the split pea soup in the mini (so I cut the recipe in half). I added a small ham hock, and substituted a little wine for some of the broth. It’s fantastic, and enough leftover for lunch tomorrow. Mr Jodi made a pot roast in the 6 quart a couple of day ago.

So far the only functions I use are “sauté” and “meat/stew” The buttons on the two I have are slightly different from each other. I am going to give both my crock pots away. (I have a regular size and a massive one).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I've only used the saute and manual functions, too. I'll eventually get to soup, I guess!

Bernard: You're looking for a Roomba. That's a different item. Cindy may have one? My older son has one, due to his very fuzzy cat. He's also the one that started the family on the Instant Pot bandwagon.

Crockpot went to its new home today.

Jodi, how many quarts is the mini?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
3 quarts in the mini. It really is perfect for two people. My favorite part of the whole thing is the sauté before you cook feature. So much less mess.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just made pj's curry, adagio edition. Basmati rice in the zoji

Yummy

Haven't cooked from it yet, but I ordered this Indian Instant Pot cookbook in the paperback edition. I bought the Kindle edition for an extra 99 cents.

https://www.amazon.com/Indian-...s=indian+instant+pot

Has recipes for all the usual suspects. I'll report back after I cook a few recipes from it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Next up: Chicken Korma. I had it for lunch and they’re lucky I didn’t go back and stick my head in the pot. This stuff is amazing!

This recipe looks pretty straightforward. if it turns out I may try one of the more authentic recipes with 20 some spices.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Mr Jodi just got this. It’s by the woman that wrote the instant pot review for the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...ant-pot-recipes.html

Smiler Jodi