well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco has a member-only deal on the Nova model Instant Pot.

The regular price in the warehouse is $109.99 and $114.99 online. Sale price is $89.99, shipping included.

quote:
This model is a hybrid of the DUO and DUO PLUS. It includes all the buttons and features of the DUO but with the new display of the DUO PLUS. The display clearly indicates if the cooker is reaching or containing pressure, plus there is the ability to turn off all the beeping sounds (just like the DUO PLUS). The NOVA does not include the ridiculous “sterilize”, “cake” and “egg” settings of the PLUS (see DUO PLUS description above) yet for some reason, it is still being marketed as a 9-in-1 cooker even though it technically only has seven functions: Saute’; Keep-Warm; Steam; Rice cook; Slow Cook; Yogurt maker; and Pressure Cooker. Instant Pot uses a proprietary fuzzy logic to come up with how many functions their cookers are marketed to have. At the time of this writing – there isn’t any listing for the NOVA the Costco website at this time.

https://www.costco.com/.produc...928_MVM_Best_Sellers

( Rundown of various models if you want to compare features)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37841 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
"The Butter-Chicken Lady"

https://www.newyorker.com/cult...love-the-instant-pot

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37841 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Do you have her cookbook?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34878 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes I do. Some of the recipes that I've posted in various Instant Pot threads and in the WTF Cookbook are from her book.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Saw this chicken noodle soup recipe prepared today on America's Test Kitchen. Looked really good.

Since it was an episode from a previous year, I couldn't get to the recipe on the ATK site without a subscription, but found it elsewhere. Recipe appears on this site with ATK's permission.

https://hipfoodiemom.com/2017/...dle-soup-a-giveaway/

I've printed it out and set it aside to try.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's cold outside and I'm trying to figure out how to avoid going to the grocery store. WhoMe

Steve posted a Swiss steak recipe from this site a while ago. I haven't tried that recipe yet, but was looking at some others on the site. Lots of possibilities to choose from:

https://frugalhausfrau.com/instant-pot-recipes/

The one pot pork chop/mashed potato/carrot recipe looks quite good. Also the wild rice soup. Regrettably, I have neither pork chops nor wild rice.

The search continues. Or maybe I should bite the bullet and go to the store.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Steve posted a Swiss steak recipe from this site a while ago. I haven't tried that recipe yet, but was looking at some others on the site. Lots of possibilities to choose from:

Don't let me sway you, but that recipe made the best mushroom gravy I have ever eaten anywhere. I remember I tweaked the recipe some so you may want to go back to the thread for the notes.

Posts: 34878 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Made the wild rice soup with changes necessitated by what was in my pantry and refrigerator. A recipe is only a guideline, right?

https://frugalhausfrau.com/201...-in-the-instant-pot/

Instead of fresh mushrooms, I reconstituted some dried mushrooms that I always keep around.

Instead of onions, I used a leek.

This was the best part of of my Sunday Instant Pot experiment. Instead of ham, I substituted chicken breasts.

I had three large frozen chicken breasts (weights ranging from 10 to 12 ounces) that had been in the freezer for a while and that needed to be used up. Chucked them in the IP with a cup of chicken broth and cooked on high pressure for 13 minutes, with a 10 minute natural pressure release. Came out perfectly cooked and tender. Used one in the soup and set aside the others for chicken salad.

Lesson #1: The IP is definitely the way to go to cook chicken breast. Just minutes from frozen to meal. For 6 ounce breast, cook for 10 minutes. For 10 ounce breast, cook for 12 minutes. Always a cup of liquid.

I only had half the amount of wild rice called for and thought what the heck, why not just make it up with basmati. The wild rice came out perfect, but the basmati cooked into a congee/porridge. Soup was thick as all get-up and quite tasty, but not what I was expecting.

Lesson #2: The IP is great for cooking wild rice.

Lesson #3: White rice doesn't need 30 minutes to cook. Unless you want porridge.

Oh, and someone needs to tell the Frugalhausfrau that butter, flour, and milk make a bechamel, not a roux.

Steve, am off to market to pick up the ingredients for Swiss Steak for dinner tomorrow. You convinced me.

Also the stuff I need to make these pork chops:

https://frugalhausfrau.com/201...k-chop-one-pot-meal/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
As for lesson #3, the IP’s rice setting is 12 minutes.

Posts: 45731 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried making rice (Basmati) in the IP twice and both attempts were failures.

Any tips?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’ve tried making rice (Basmati) in the IP twice and both attempts were failures.

Any tips?

12 minutes is enough. I use natural release but, if it’s too soft, release pressure immediately.

And some people say use less water. I use about 1-3/4 cups of water to cup of rice, but some people even say 1:1 ratio. That’s too hard for my taste.

Caveat: I make jasmine rice, not basmati.

Posts: 45731 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried rinsed and un rinsed, each time with a 1:1 ratio of water to rice.

I’ll try more water next time.

Thanks! ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've only prepared basmati in the IP as part of a biryani.

I looked up the prep instructions in the Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. She has a list of grains with an entry for "white rice, long grain">

She says that to prevent foaming, you should rinse the rice and use a small amount of butter or oil in the cooking water. Her recommended proportions are one cup of rice to one and a half cups of water, cooked for 3 minutes at high pressure with quick release.

These folks tried a bunch of different methods. Here are their results, which are more in the one to one ratio, 6 minutes cook time, and 10 minutes natural pressure release:

https://www.pressurecookrecipe...nt-pot-basmati-rice/

Very different approaches. Not sure what to think. Except that it's no wonder the basmati in my soup turned to porridge; it cooked for 30 minutes.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Family has been dreaming of oxtail adobo since we had some at Broke Da Mouth in Kona last month. I made it last night; I did a mash up of several recipes from the interwebz; it was delicious. Carrots/onions/shiitakes are not part of classic adobo, but I added them for taste and interest.

Oxtail adobo

1 T olive oil
3-4 pounds oxtail, segmented (I trimmed and parboiled mine for 5 minutes to get rid of some of the fat, then cooled them to cook later)
1/2 cup vinegar, I used rice vinegar
3/4 cup Aloha shoyu
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch wide
4 shiitake mushrooms, (dried, rehydrated)

1 T cornstarch
1 T water
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Plug in IP and hit Saute. Heat up oil and saute the garlic, onions, carrots until about halfway cooked. Add oxtails with a dash of salt and pepper and saute until slightly browned.

2. Add brown sugar and mix until blended with the meat. Add the Soy sauce, vinegar, water, black peppercorn (or ground pepper) bay leaves, mushrooms and mix well.

3. Cover and use manual setting, 30 minutes.

4. Once the timer has gone off let the pot do a 15 minute resting period and then release any extra steam out of the pot.

5. Turn pot back onto saute. (I removed meat/veg from pot first, poured liquid through strainer into gravy separator, de-fatted it.)

6. Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate bowl and then add to the pot, mix well until sauce thickens.

7. Add meat/veg back to sauce and mix well. Switch to Keep Warm.

8. Serve over brown rice.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9794 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Oh! Also made beef barley soup a few weeks ago; I used the leftover prime rib bones.

Serious Eats beef barley soup

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9794 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post