well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant pot deal on Amazon. Recipes, too!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Pretty good deal at $69.99, which is $30 off the regular price; looks like it's good through midnight PT.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant...keywords=instant+pot

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I was expecting a different kind of instant pot...

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Looks like the mini is 69.99, not the bigger one?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When I looked, the 6 quart (middle size, which seems to be the most popular) was $69.99. It said the offer was good for another 9 hours plus, which translated to midnight Pacific.

They must have sold out of the 6 quart.

If you're thinking about getting one, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a deal during Black Friday sales....or you can sign up for camelcamelcamel.com price tracking before then....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
So is the 6 quart the smartest? Wondering if I should do the smaller (3 quart) one since it's just me and Mr. Jodi

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ah, I still had the tab open from when I posted earlier today. It refreshed itself in the interim...

They neglected to mention that the deal ended earlier than they originally said it would...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
So is the 6 quart the smartest? Wondering if I should do the smaller (3 quart) one since it's just me and Mr. Jodi

I'd do at least the six quart. When the kids are home, or when you have company, the three quart might be too small.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I agree the 6 quart is the way to go.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I have the 8 quart. My kids bought it for me, and they want to come over for dinner! Their theory is that you can always cook smaller in the big pot, but you can't cook bigger in the small pot.

So far I've made risotto (several times), split pea soup (fab) and jook (congee, Chinese rice porridge). The rice porridge definitely needed some elbow room.

Six quart is probably big enough for normal couples...

Next up: I'm going to monkey with PJ's chicken curry recipe. I know the IP can function as a crock pot, but I want to see if it can be quick and still come out as luscious.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Please post the recipe if you get it to work!!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Please post the recipe if you get it to work!!

Trying it tonight!

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
11 minutes left on the Instant Pot. 12 minutes left on the new Zojirushi rice cooker. Timing is everything!

I started the rice, then started cutting up chicken, onion, and potatoes.

Guessing 14 minutes for the Instant Pot at pressure, but will have appetizers and let the pressure release naturally...until we get too hungry to wait.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We are waiting with bated breath ....

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It was delicious. Even better than crock pot. About 1.5 hours start to finish. I started the rice first, then started on the curry. Timing pretty close on both ends this way; I forgot the rice had to steam 15 minutes after the countdown, but that was enough time for the IP to depressurize naturally. Here's (my adaptation of) PJ's recipe:

Chicken Spinach Curry

bunch of cut up chicken pieces (1 lb skinless boneless thighs)
bunch of diced potatoes (3 - 4 white or Yukon gold)
diced onion one
cauliflower pieces (12 oz bag frozen)
Fresh spinach (1 salad bag, divided. Half at beginning and couple handfuls after depressurizing)
can o' (lite) coconut milk
generous quantity of curry powder (3 tablespoons)
No extra water needed.

Instant Pot: Saute onion in 2 T olive oil til translucent but not squishy, add chicken and saute a bit (I didn't wait for all the pink to disappear). Add potatoes, stir, add everything else, stir.

Process 14 minutes on manual/high pressure. Let it depressurize naturally (about 15 mins). It looks watery, with chunks of potato and cauliflower, but when you stir in the rest of the spinach, the potatoes and cauliflower break down and it's a lovely smooshy texture with some small chunks left. The spinach is still green.

Serve over rice, garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves if you'd like.

Yummmmmm.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That sounds great. I went back and forth and ended up ordering the mini, i have so many huge appliances that cook for too many, (a regular and a massive crock pot and a rice cooker) I decided I would try this one first and decide. I can always send this to one of my kids and get the bigger one when I goes back on sale if I feel I need to.

Smiler Jodi