well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The New AW%^& Variant

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New AW%^& Variant
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
They are calling it the Stealth Omicron variant

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
The gift that keeps on giving.

Ugh.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Swell. Just swell.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
This is how life is going to be. Humanity is overdue for a population bust.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Eventually it’s going to infect more people multiple times and become less deadly. Thats what successful viruses do.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to a time when we think of it like we think of the flu. (As in, I get a shot before flu season). And hoping I’m gone before the next pandemic of whatever virus hits us!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sneaky little bastard..guess we'll have to wait and see what it does, or doesn't, do....

https://www.npr.org/sections/h...n-ba2-variant-spread

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
The gift that keeps on giving.

Ugh.

And giving.

quote:
A pair of new Omicron subvariants has emerged, raising the possibility that survivors of earlier Omicron strains can get reinfected.

BA.4 and BA.5 have gained increasing attention in South Africa as weekly coronavirus cases tripled in the last two weeks, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

"It really came out of the blue over the weekend. We were already settling down with BA.2.12.1, and then BA.4 and BA.5?" said Dr. Peter Chin-Hong, an infectious diseases expert at UC San Francisco. "It just seems like the latest chapter of a never-ending saga."

The rapid growth of BA.4 and BA.5 in South Africa has implications for a potential future surge in California and the U.S. Until now, scientists had been reassured that people who survived the first Omicron variant over the winter, BA.1, were unlikely to be reinfected by the even more infectious subvariant BA.2, which is now dominant nationwide.

But the surge in cases in South Africa of BA.4 and BA.5 follow an earlier Omicron wave. An estimated 90% of South Africa's population has immunity to the earlier Omicron variants either due to surviving a natural infection or through vaccination.

"If 90% of people are immune already, and they're seeing a surge in cases, it means that this particular dynamic duo [BA.4 and BA.5] are causing more reinfections — even in people who already had Omicron," Chin-Hong said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...-ba-4-153030609.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
What happened to Omicron XE? I thought that sounded like an Oldsmobile from the 1980s.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
What happened to Omicron XE? I thought that sounded like an Oldsmobile from the 1980s.

Yes, I think I drove a convertible model once.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Yes, I think I drove a convertible model once.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I won't get too worked up until we see it causes more serious illness than OG Omicron.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Eventually it’s going to infect more people multiple times and become less deadly. Thats what successful viruses do.

This. We haven't seen or heard reports that these new variants are more deadly--easier to contract, but less lethal.

I think there's a lot of COVID fatigue going around, understandably. I know I'm just tired of dealing with it. I've never gotten COVID, but I figure that I will eventually. I read a stat that here in my county, 1 in 7 have contracted COVID since the start of the pandemic. I had no idea it was that common.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It seemed that the hospitalizations and deaths were about constant... fewer severe infections among those who got infected, but more transmissible, so more people getting infected.

5% of 100 = 5
1% of 500 = 5

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never gotten COVID, but I figure that I will eventually.

Neither have I or my spouse.... I do imagine that we'll get it at some point, but I'm hoping to put it off for as long as possible.

We also haven't had colds, flu, sore throat, nothing, since Jan. 2020.

That's part of what is keeping us in our masks. I know at some point we'll stop wearing them, but I can't yet see when that will be...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post