well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Coronavirus cases in China drop

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coronavirus cases in China drop
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Chinese city at the center of the coronavirus epidemic has closed the first of 16 specially built hospitals, hurriedly put up to treat people with the virus, after it discharged its last recovered patients, state broadcaster CCTV said on Monday.

News of the closure coincided with a sharp fall in new cases in Hubei province and its capital of Wuhan but China remained on alert for people returning home with the virus from other countries where it has spread.

“The rapid rising trend of virus cases in Wuhan has been controlled,” Mi Feng, a spokesman for China’s National Health Commission told a briefing.

“Outbreaks in Hubei outside of Wuhan are curbed and provinces outside of Hubei are showing a positive trend.”

https://www.reuters.com/articl...harply-idUSKBN20P01K

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Why China was able to curtail the spread:

quote:

As the new coronavirus spread rapidly in central China, the country’s authoritarian government took a very authoritarian step: It ordered the unprecedented lockdown of 60 million people in the hardest-hit province.

The shutdown of public transport in some cities, the closing of entertainment venues nationwide and a heavy dose of fear emptied the streets of the world’s most populous nation.

Now that the virus has reached every continent except Antarctica, with South America's first confirmed case this week, the World Health Organization is proposing a challenge for others: Be more like China.

Simply put, if a disease isn’t truly understood and there are no medicines or vaccines for it, then quarantine is the most effective way to curb its spread. And acting fast is crucial, as China learned, after its initial tepid response.

The question before the world is to what extent it can and wants to replicate China’s draconian methods.

“Few other countries have the ability to implement a lockdown at that scale,” said Dr. Raina Macintyre, a global biosecurity expert at the University of New South Wales in Australia.

In a democracy, a restriction of this magnitude "requires explaining a lot, why it is important,” said virologist Marion Koopmans of the Erasmus Medical Center in the Netherlands. “But it is a common-sense thing that people can understand. Our grandparents taught us so. I remember being in human quarantine as a child, when I had mumps.”

https://japantoday.com/categor...can-learn-from-china

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The question before the world is to what extent it can and wants to replicate China’s draconian methods

This.

I keep thinking about the conference I'm supposed to present at. I'm part of a four-person panel, so although each presentation is individual, I feel like I'd be causing them a lot of trouble if I didn't go. Also, it's kind of important for the program I'm part of here, etc. etc. So I don't think I will, or can really, decide not to attend on my own. (Oh, also, my hotel reservation is non-refundable, and I won't get reimbursed unless I attend... A minor detail ultimately, but a detail nonetheless.)

But it's going to be a huge conference, with people from all over the US. The perfect place to pick up a bug.

I really wish some higher authority would cancel it on our behalves... :P

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure we can trust China's data.

You're welcome.

Leaving

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

You're welcome.

Leaving

Yes

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
No way.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m not shocked they got the reproductive number below one. The restrictions in Hubei province have mostly not been lifted, though they been loosened elsewhere.

I suspect they view the restrictions as a throttle that they can continue to use to keep the cases below the capacity of their medical system.

I worry about our ability and willingness to do the same.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're welcome.

Leaving

Didn’t they change their criteria for what counted and what didn’t?

CNN says they changed it 3 times.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're welcome.

Leaving

Big Grin

I saw an article (I wished I had bookmarked it) that they don't trust ours.

Can't say as I blame them...our first tests didn't work and we've been letting people go from quarantine before (positive) test results come back....not exactly confidence-inspiring...

Bazootiehead-in-training