well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Verdict within the hour ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verdict within the hour ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Stay tuned.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Guilty, all charges.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
A verdict found in less than one day is usually guilty.

Let there be peace.

I don't quite understand how he is convicted of second degree murder, third degree murder, and manslaughter. Wouldn't one only be convicted of the most serious offense? Is there a lawyer in the house?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I have the same question, unless it's a tactic in case they don't get the big charge they could convict on a lesser charge without having to retry him.

So if he's guilty on the big charge, then he is de facto guilty of the lesser charges.

I sure do wish there were some lawyers around. Wink

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Criminal lawyers, you mean. Wink

Law school was an awfully long time ago, but I think, as I read the articles, that the elements of the crime weren’t the same in all three charges. In legalese ... they weren’t lesser-included offenses.

But, I freely admit, not my specialty, nor do I want it to be.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thanks anyway.

I assume now the judge has the option to sentence Chauvin to three consecutive sentences for the three crimes... could be one of those where he’s eligible for parole when he’s 90.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sentencing explained

Concurrently because the charges are all based on the same act, not three separate events.

12.5 years as the base. Judge has discretion to increase the time based on several criteria (cruelty, abuse of authority, presence of children and so on).

Chauvin has several avenues of appeal, which include everything from Maxine Waters to the judge going overboard in fixing the length of his sentence.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but I don’t think you can appeal the verdict based on the sentence.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Criminal lawyers, you mean. Wink

Law school was an awfully long time ago, but I think, as I read the articles, that the elements of the crime weren’t the same in all three charges. In legalese ... they weren’t lesser-included offenses.

But, I freely admit, not my specialty, nor do I want it to be.

Correct

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
This article explains the three charges...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...dict-sentencing.html

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Axios on the sentencing:

"Legal experts think former police officer Derek Chauvin is likely to be sentenced to between 15 years and 30 years for the death of George Floyd, Axios Twin Cities' Torey Van Oot and Nick Halter tell me.

Many in the community want to see the higher end. But experts think it'll likely be lower than the max, given his lack of priors.
Aggravating factors include committing the crime in the presence of children.
Although he was found guilty of three counts, under Minnesota law, he'll only be sentenced on the most serious one — second-degree murder."

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I was reading an article last night... don't remember where... that said Chauvin had been reported something like 18 times for excessive force and other violations, but he had only been reprimanded a few times... just a letter in his file.

I hope that is taken into consideration along with "zero prior convictions"... he has a history of bad behavior.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interview with an alternate juror. Really interesting.

https://www.kare11.com/article...d5-93ad-5c72620b9f18

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post