well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The rally in Tulsa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The rally in Tulsa
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Expressing concerns about COVID-19’s increasing spread, the Tulsa City-County Health Department’s director said he wishes the campaign rally for President Donald Trump at the BOK Center on June 20 would be pushed back to a later date.

In an interview with the Tulsa World on Saturday, Dr. Bruce Dart said Tulsa is seeing a “significant increase in our case trends” that makes a large gathering like the rally dangerous for not only attendees, but the president himself.

“I think it’s an honor for Tulsa to have a sitting president want to come and visit our community, but not during a pandemic,” said Dart. “I’m concerned about our ability to protect anyone who attends a large, indoor event, and I’m also concerned about our ability to ensure the president stays safe as well.”

State officials on Saturday reported 225 new cases of COVID-19, once again marking a new high in daily increases for both the state and Tulsa County.

“COVID is here in Tulsa, it is transmitting very efficiently,” Dart said. “I wish we could postpone this to a time when the virus isn’t as large a concern as it is today.”

Dart said his concern stems from a sudden spike in cases he said likely comes from a combination of factors, but not increased testing. Health department data shows Tulsa County’s 7-day rolling average for COVID-19 cases has risen from 24.9 cases on June 7 to 51.4 as of Friday.

About the same number of people have been tested for COVID-19 in Tulsa for the past few weeks, and Dart said several highly attended private events and “quarantine fatigue” have led to back-to-back record high numbers of new Tulsa County cases reported Friday and Saturday.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/new...74-182047453d53.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tulsa World editorial.

quote:
President Donald Trump is coming to town this week for a campaign rally.

It will be his first since such events were suspended earlier this year because of the COVID-19 shutdown.

We don’t know why he chose Tulsa, but we can’t see any way that his visit will be good for the city.

Tulsa is still dealing with the challenges created by a pandemic. The city and state have authorized reopening, but that doesn’t make a mass indoor gathering of people pressed closely together and cheering a good idea. There is no treatment for COVID-19 and no vaccine. It will be our health care system that will have to deal with whatever effects follow.

The public health concern would apply whether it were Donald Trump, Joe Biden or anyone else who was planning a mass rally at the BOK.

This is the wrong time.

Tulsa and the nation remain on edge after the May 25 police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Trump, a divisive figure, will attract protests, the vast majority of which we expect to be peaceful. But there may also be confrontation and inappropriate behavior from some. His 2016 Tulsa rally provoked a heated response for some, and his ability to provoke opponents has only grown since then.

Again, Tulsa will be largely alone in dealing with what happens at a time when the city’s budget resources have already been stretched thin.

There’s no reason to think a Trump appearance in Tulsa will have any effect on November’s election outcome in Tulsa or Oklahoma. It has already concentrated the world’s attention of the fact that Trump will be rallying in a city that 99 years ago was the site of a bloody race massacre.

This is the wrong place for the rally.

When the president of the United States visits your city, it should be exciting. We think a Trump visit will be, but for a lot of the wrong reasons, and we can’t welcome it.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opi...01-24b81c1b0c78.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

quote:
Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) said Monday that the decision by the Trump campaign to require medical waivers for attendees at an upcoming rally is an indicator that it's too early to start holding large-scale events again.

“I’ve dealt with evidence and clues for a long time in my career,” Demings, the first woman to serve as chief of the Orlando Police Department, said on ABC's "The View." “When you have to sign a medical waiver saying that you won’t hold the president responsible if you contract COVID-19, it's a pretty good clue that the president should not be holding a rally."

https://thehill.com/homenews/c...lue-he-shouldnt-hold

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Six staffers working on President Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, have tested positive for coronavirus, the Trump campaign said Saturday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/20...-staffers/index.html

edit:

quote:
A few hours before the event, the campaign disclosed that six Trump campaign staff members who had been working on the rally had tested positive for the coronavirus during a routine screening. Mr. Trump, who was made aware of the sick campaign aides before departing for the rally, was incensed that the news was made public, according to two people familiar with his reaction.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...-BB15LsJW?li=BBnb7Kz

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Six staffers working on President Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, have tested positive for coronavirus

Because of course they did.
Roll Eyes

quote:
Mr. Trump ... was incensed that the news was made public

ThumbsUp

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Donald Trump and Mike Pence have scrapped plans to address an outdoor rally at the president's campaign event in Tulsa, Oklahoma, following reports of low attendance and a thinner-than-expected crowd inside the arena.

The campaign was set to address an "overflow" crowd that has since dwindled. On Friday, campaign director Brad Parscale touted an outdoor stage that was being built for the president.

"This will be the 1st time that POTUS speaks to BOTH crowds in person - inside & outside," he said on Twitter. "If you come to the rally and don't get into the BOK Center before it's full, you can still see the President in person!"

In a campaign statement, spokesperson Tim Murtaugh said "protesters interfered with supporters, even blocking access to metal detectors, which prevented people from entering the rally."

"Radical protesters, coupled with a relentless onslaught from the media, attempted to frighten off the president's supporters," he claimed.

One woman who was peacefully protesting while sitting on the ground outside the arena was arrested, after the campaign asked the Tulsa Police Department to remove her from the area.

Tulsa officials had anticipated 100,000 people in its downtown for the rally. The BOK Centre has a capacity of roughly 19,000 people. Roughly 400,000 people live in Tulsa, and the state's population is around 4 million people.

On 15 June, the president claimed that nearly 1 million had requested tickets to the rally.

Reports from outside and inside the rally in the hours before the president was set to appear, typically carnival-like events with crowds lined up for hours waiting to enter, show the area had yet to reach capacity.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...lahoma-a9577556.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I will feel no particular sorrow for those who attend the rally and sicken. I won't even feel any sorrow if they die. Well, no more sorrow than the abstract "oh, well," upon reading about any random person's death anywhere in the world at any time. My emotions won't really go out to those individuals. I think the strongest actual feeling that would wash over me is schadenfreude.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will feel no particular sorrow for those who attend the rally and sicken. I won't even feel any sorrow if they die.

1. Well, yeah, except that they probably won't just sit quietly in their homes until the end, they'll clog up the hospitals etc. etc., using up resources and risking the health and lives of medical workers.

2. In that they are humans, and by and large completely swindled by the *sshole in chief, I do feel a little sorry for them. But only just.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I particularly liked the part about the Trumps supporting the moral fabric of the country (my bolding).

quote:
Speaking at the Trump campaign's rally in Tulsa on Saturday night, the president's son Eric Trump referred to Black Lives Matter protesters as "animals".

Telling supporters that there is no family other than the Trumps that will work harder for them, he said they will preserve "the moral fabric of the country" .

He continued: "Because when you watch the nonsense on TV, when you see these animals literally taking over our cities, burning down churches, this isn't America."

"They represent the smallest fraction of our society", he added, saying that Americans do not support that kind of behaviour.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...lahoma-a9577566.html

quote:
Standing with his wife, Lara, Mr Trump Jr went on to say that they will also protect religious liberty.

"We are going to say 'Merry Christmas', which is totally under assault," he said

He also promised to protect the second amendment.

And the flag.

And Mom.

And apple pie.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

LOOOLOLOLOLLOL

Had to steal that.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
He then turns to Ilhan Omar, the congresswoman from Minnesota. Omar is an American citizen but he refers to “her country” as Somalia. There are loud boos for Omar, who is Muslim.

Nice. Her father died three days ago of COVID-19.

The Guardian was live blogging. Better than being there because you don’t have to lactually hear his voice.

https://news.google.com/articl...S&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. In that they are humans, and by and large completely swindled by the *sshole in chief, I do feel a little sorry for them. But only just.

A number of my twitter friends have made the same point. Ya'll are more charitable than I am. Also, I'm inclined to give these people full agency. I will bet a substantial sum that every one of his yeehaw enthusiastic Tulsa groupies would regard your "completely swindled" remark as just another example of a self-righteous liberal patronizing them with a pat on the head.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
President Trump complained that coronavirus testing in the United States — which began later in the pandemic than it did in other countries — is driving up the numbers of confirmed infections, and he said he told his advisers to test people more slowly, even though experts agree that robust testing is the best way to control the pandemic.

“Here’s the bad part: When you do testing to that extent you’re going to find more people, you’re going to find more cases,'' he said. “So I said to my people, slow the testing down, please. They test and they test.''

I guess this is just more of his "humor." Yeah, that's the ticket. That's what his next 86-able press secretary will proclaim tomorrow ...

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
I will feel no particular sorrow for those who attend the rally and sicken. I won't even feel any sorrow if they die.

1. Well, yeah, except that they probably won't just sit quietly in their homes until the end, they'll clog up the hospitals etc. etc., using up resources and risking the health and lives of medical workers.

And because wearing a face mask (which keeps YOU from spreading pre-symptomatic virus-laden aerosols to OTHERS) is a sign of weakness and liberal mush-headedness, these "people" will infect several other people who tried to stay safe by NOT going to I-1's love-in.

Sorry, Grandma. This self-centered peckerwood just infected you. And the rest of the congregation.

Since the population of Tulsa is pretty small (400,000 peeps), certainly many people came from far and wide to this virus-exchange, and will be taking their infected selves back home to spread the "democrat hoax".

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post