well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Warren Announces She Is Running for President
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warren Announces She Is Running for President
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I also think that people were/are getting tired of the presidential dynasties of Bush/Clinton, because, let's face it, they are a bit slimy.

BUT they both look like choirboys (choir persons) compared to our current incumbent. ABT still works for me.

Aside to Mik: I don't understand, you thought Gary Johnson was a viable candidate?

If faced with Warren v Trump, I’d vote Johnson or the equivalent. Only because I have the luxury to do that, living in a solid blue state.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I also think that people were/are getting tired of the presidential dynasties of Bush/Clinton, because, let's face it, they are a bit slimy.

BUT they both look like choirboys (choir persons) compared to our current incumbent. ABT still works for me.

Aside to Mik: I don't understand, you thought Gary Johnson was a viable candidate?

If faced with Warren v Trump, I’d vote Johnson or the equivalent. Only because I have the luxury to do that, living in a solid blue state.

In 2020, given what we've seen happen already, that would be a cowardly response.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t think so at all.

I wouldn’t do it in a swing state.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t think so at all.

I wouldn’t do it in a swing state.

People announcing that they would do so legitimizes that behavior among others. Others who might live in swing states, and might not appreciate the nuance. Others who might say, if those people can't hold their noses and vote for a candidate they don't like, why should I?

They should because it's a national crisis. If it's a national crisis, people in blue states (or red states, for that matter) shouldn't think they have the luxury of avoiding a difficult vote.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It can the only reasonable action when the real
choice is would you prefer to be mauled by a lion or by a tiger.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I disagree that Warren has bad ideas. I think they are great ideas and they are the direction I wish this country would take. My objections to her have only to do with her style and how it would handicap her. She's a fierce voice against the corruption of the larger system. We need someone to lead that charge.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Let's assume for a moment that you hate Warren's ideas as much as jon does. Let's assume you think those ideas are as dangerous as Trump's. Or even more dangerous.

You should STILL vote for Warren.

Why? Because she'll respect historic norms and won't test the limits of Presidential power at every opportunity. Because she won't label the press "enemies of the people" and "fake news".
Because she's not a vindictive a$$hole who will seek to use the Department of Justice to punish enemies. Because she'll accept the validity of reasonable scientific conclusions. Because she'll appoint better judges. Because she'll appoint people to the various executive departments who have competence and expertise.

It isn't even a close call.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Why don't you tell that to Jon. He's the one saying he wouldn't vote for her.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Why? Because she'll respect historic norms and won't test the limits of Presidential power at every opportunity.

That one is false, (at least if you remove the trivial strawman of ‘at every opportunity’) if her earlier career and senate proposals are any indication. If fact that’s why I could never vote for her, unless I was in a swing state. Even then I’d come home and write a long apology to my grandchildren.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Why are we talking about her? She won't win the primary.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? Because she'll respect historic norms and won't test the limits of Presidential power at every opportunity. Because she won't label the press "enemies of the people" and "fake news".
Because she's not a vindictive a$$hole who will seek to use the Department of Justice to punish enemies. Because she'll accept the validity of reasonable scientific conclusions. Because she'll appoint better judges. Because she'll appoint people to the various executive departments who have competence and expertise.

Wow - the bar gets lower every day.

We can do better than this.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Why are we talking about her? She won't win the primary.

And Spanky will never be president.

I no longer take anything for granted.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I agree with Cindy and Steve both. Is that ok or do I have to pick one?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

Wow - the bar gets lower every day.

We can do better than this.

Maybe. Everyone is entitled to their view, and their vote, in the primary contests.

At the end of the day, though, we all vote for the Democratic candidate. Full stop. There is no alternative.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why? Because she'll respect historic norms and won't test the limits of Presidential power at every opportunity.

That one is false, (at least if you remove the trivial strawman of ‘at every opportunity’) if her earlier career and senate proposals are any indication. If fact that’s why I could never vote for her, unless I was in a swing state. Even then I’d come home and write a long apology to my grandchildren.

There is no basis for saying that she'd ever disrespect historic norms or test the limits of Presidential power the way Trump has. None. If you think she has, quote it and cite it. Don't just say mealymouthed things about "earlier career and senate proposals".

It appears that you are conflating various substantive proposals with the idea that she would become an authoritarian President along the lines of Trump.

You may think her proposals are ill-advised, but I am not aware of anything that suggests that she would test the limits of Presidential powers or disrespect historic norms. Again, if you are, don't talk around it. Cite the examples, specifically.