well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID-19 impact of Trump rallies

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID-19 impact of Trump rallies
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...4KOZCZPCB245HD7SIKMA

“A new study from Stanford University estimates that 18 of Trump’s recent large-scale campaign rallies ultimately resulted in 30,000 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and probably led to more than 700 deaths among attendees and others infected by them.

The study, released Friday by Stanford economics professor B. Douglas Bernheim and three doctoral students, examined rallies staged by Trump between June 20 and Sept. 30 and looked at the trajectory of cases in the counties in which they were held.”

The paper:

https://sebotero.github.io/pap...llies_10_30_2000.pdf

— — — —
We investigate the effects of large group meetings on the spread of COVID-19 by studying the impact of eighteen Trump campaign rallies. To capture the effects of subsequent contagion within the pertinent communities, our analysis encompasses up to ten post-rally weeks for each event. Our method is based on a collection of regression models, one for each event, that capture the relationships between post-event outcomes and pre-event characteristics, including demographics and the trajectory of COVID-19 cases, in similar counties. We explore a total of 24 procedures for identifying sets of matched counties. For the vast majority of these variants, our estimate of the average treatment effect across the eighteen events implies that they increased subsequent confirmed cases of COVID-19 by more than 250 per 100,000 residents. Extrapolating this figure to the entire sample, we conclude that these eighteen rallies ultimately resulted in more than 30,000 incremental confirmed cases of COVID-19. Applying county- specific post-event death rates, we conclude that the rallies likely led to more than 700 deaths (not necessarily among attendees).
— — — —

Of course, you might ask where are this type of studies for protests, religious gatherings, weddings, funerals, private parties, etc. Please ask loudly on all your social media channels ... maybe some researchers will pick it up.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This is a really tough measurement problem. Their county matching method seems like a perfectly sensible way to estimate the average effect, and the number of events seems large enough to have some confidence in the sign and significance if not the exact magnitude. I guess it helps that their results are reinforcing what one might expect rather than coming to some startlingly counterintuitive conclusion.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
True, especially the last part. But if there were negligible impact from Trump's rallies, we wouldn't expect to see their results consistently. I'm intrigued by their quasi-placebo "control" group. I'll have to read it in more detail after my coffee has had a chance to kick in.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
How sad.

But he doesn't care.

A H

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
How sad.

But he doesn't care.

A H

Naw. He is proud of it. His supporters are willing to die for him.

And so they do.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post