well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Home Reno Hardie Anyone?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Reno Hardie Anyone?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
My house is about to enter it's biggest project yet. I have five old rotten windows to replace. My front porch floor is rotting and the underlying structure is sinking so that will be rebuilt and put up railings that were taken off years ago. I am looking forward to using the full floor space right out to the edges without fear of falling off (or through!)!

But bigger than that is siding. I have many cracked clapboards and rotten corner boards. I have two areas that have small leaks as a result.

When I add the cost of piecemeal repair and then a whole paint job, I decided to just go for all new siding. That will make the window and porch work easier for the contractor as well.

I plan to use Hardie prepainted siding (no painting for 15 years). Anyone have experience with this?

A house in the neighborhood just had theirs done and it looks nice. Just wondering if there are any issues I should know ahead of time.

Thanks!

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Is that the Hardie board that is made of something like concrete?

We had an old thread about this (maybe Lisa used it?) that caused me to look into it, when I was doing some outside work on my house. If I recall correctly, it was incredibly durable, but heavy and difficult to install, and thus expensive.

But maybe you're talking about a different Hardie product, or maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I think Lisa is the one to ask, but I might be remembering that wrong, too.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yes, Lisa has experience with this product.

I've never used it, but from what I understand it's a bit tricky to install. I would want a Hardie authorized installer and to have it installed exactly as called out in the Hardie installation specification, both for performance and warranty reasons.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We had it put on our Ferndale house (replaced failing LP siding). Really liked it, but would make sure you get somebody who knows how to do it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20413 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I have an excellent contractor which is why I piled on the projects. It is SO hard to get a good contractor right now..they are all so busy.

I am getting excited. I LOVE construction projects. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

I am getting excited. I LOVE construction projects. Yes

HairRaising

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It will be nice for you to have this construction done.

Congrats!

Posts: 24646 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Projects, for sure! Hope all goes well. I need to learn the lesson from you. I am such a procrastinator!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Just after I posted I got a call from the first contractor (or his wife) asking it I got the quote...They had my email wrong and she resent it..I have been waiting for this over a month and had to reach out 2 or 3 times for them just show up..I get they are busy but..

To be clear, I had written an SOW (statement of work) that all contractors were given.

This proposal has so many errors in materials..and way too many TBD expenses...His final cost was just $500 under my fav contractor and does not include the siding replacement...so.. Razzer

I am happy with the contractor I have chosen.

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Had trouble getting Hardie to send me the correct color samples.

Contractor stopped by with them today..OMG..they are EXACTLY what I have on the house (and I want to preserve)..Easy decision.

Only issue is a pressure treated lumber demand...orders are delayed by weeks due to the pandemic..so many are doing home construction jobs here. He warned me the pressure treated wood would be very wet, so a longer delay in staining or painting. Fortunately, most is going on the sunny side of the house so that should help..still could a year before the final colors are applied.

So in an odd twist, I will get windows first (they usually take longer!) and they will side the house and garage right up to the porch..then pause..till the porch lumber comes.

I like how this guys thinks...get it done as best you can...I am good with that! Whoo hoo!

I plan to take vaca during construction. I asked him to put me to work! Big Grin

MillCityGrows.org