well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Merry Christmas Eve - edit: and Christmas Day!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merry Christmas Eve - edit: and Christmas Day!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I don't really celebrate Christmas to any great extent anymore but this song brings back so many wonderful memories of Christmases past.

Mom loved Andre Rieu. He's total schmaltz, but here he is anyway:

The humble origins of 'Silent Night':

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

Warm wishes and peace to you all.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward men.

Merry Christmas!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Another wig Lithuanian Christmas Eve meal is in the history books.

We had our usual selection of herring (two ways), salmon (two ways), Mixed vegetable salad, beet and white bean salad, crab cakes, mushrooms, deviled eggs, Lithuanian bread, cranberry kissel, and slizikai (little poppy seed biscuits soaked in poppy seed milk). We also shared the traditional plotkele, a thin wafer.

My friend Irene used to set a beautiful table for Kucios.

The only thing missing at our meal tonight was what Irene used to call Christmas fish. Costco didn’t have the orange roughy I normally use and I didn’t feel like hunting for it elsewhere.

http://amberreunion.blogspot.c.../christmas-fish.html

About some of our Christmas traditions…they do vary from family to family, but these are some of the highlights…

http://lithuanianmha.org/holid...raditions/christmas/

One other tradition…at midnight on Christmas Eve, the animals talk about their owners…I told Raffi he better say nice things or there would be a lump of coal in his Christmas stocking in the morning…

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas Eve!

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward men.

Merry Christmas!
+1

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to all celebrating!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Wow, wtg, that Christmas Eve dinner looks delicious. It's also fascinating to read about, since the ingredients and flavor combinations are so different from my own cooking repertoire. I always enjoy reading your posts about Lithuanian culture.

Merry Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, everyone!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas, friends!

So for those celebrating, what are y'all doing today?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Low-key here.

Due to the world situation and the resulting inadvisability of travel, it's just the two of us. I baked goodies yesterday. We'll bake a chicken and make mashed potatoes and gravy. I'll probably make some squash casserole and maybe a little salad.

We'll open our presents and videochat with assorted descendants. Maybe we'll play some board games or watch some movies.

Mostly, we'll just relax after a year that has been pretty work-heavy for both of us.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I've been working off and on, and we spent some time on Facetime with family.

Because I'm chasing a big deadline, I didn't want to cook (Christmas and Thanksgiving are my job), we had Chinese take-out, which oddly, we have not done since moving here. Mr. SK loved it, so that was fun! Smiler

In a little but I'm going to play the piano and then we'll watch some cheesy tv together.

It would be a perfect day if we weren't so aware of the fact that we're here (iow, and not with family somewhere) because of covid... -_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Because I'm chasing a big deadline ... we had Chinese take-out,

Are you sure you're not Jewish. Wink

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We have all gathered in Santa Fe this time.

We didn't do any holiday cooking. We got a prepared Christmas Eve dinner that was very traditional northern New Mexico. Posole and tamales with biscochitos for dessert. Tonight we're getting an early (5:30 P.M.) izakaya-style Japanese repast at a great place about a mile and a half from our home here.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We had a first class Midwest Christmas in every respect. Even Sam had a great time - he stole 20 Christmas cookies off of the counter while no one was looking.

The highlight? Tater tots with Hollandaise Sauce for Christmas breakfast. Does is get any more Midwest than that? ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Tater tots with Hollandaise Sauce for Christmas breakfast. Does is get any more Midwest than that? ThumbsUp
Yes. Cream of mushroom soup instead of Hollandaise. But I guess Hollandaise is more breakfasty since it goes on eggs benedict.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Daughter and family came over. She is positive with a breakthrough infection, and I think I am too, though I haven’t yet been tested. We opened presents but skipped eating Christmas dinner. Everybody triple-vaxed and masked.

I’ll probably go get tested tomorrow. Daughter and I have very mild symptoms.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post