well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anti-Vaxxers Are Nuts

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Vaxxers Are Nuts
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
A kid isn’t vaccinated for tetanus. He gets a cut. He gets lockjaw. He’s airlifted to the hospital, spends 87 days in the hospital, at a cost of almost $1 million.

The punchline ... his parents still won’t vaccinate him, for tetanus or anything else.

https://gizmodo.com/it-took-tw...rce=gizmodo_facebook

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I am running out of motivation to care about these people. They’re not interested in what I think and they’re not my problem.

You can’t fix this.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't understand. We were vaccinated in public school. End of. Or make other arrangements for your child's education. Since when isn't this a matter of public policy? Huh? Confused

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Having caught tetanus once, would the patient not have developed immunity from that experience? Would one who have contacted real tetanus still benefit from vaccination of the same disease after the fact?

The part about not willing to vaccinate against other diseases is harder to justify. Cannot really think of a single allergen common to all vaccines that can justify one refusing all vaccines.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
The article I read said that you can get tetanus more than once, so the poor kid isn’t immune from tetanus by virtue of having had it.

The kid cut his forehead, and they sutured it at home. OUCH. And then tetanus. This kid went through excruciating pain not to mention expense, and the parents are apparently fine with that over having vaccinations.

Article in the Oregonian.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Also, here’s the CDC report.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The kid cut his forehead, and they sutured it at home. OUCH. And then tetanus. This kid went through excruciating pain not to mention expense, and the parents are apparently fine with that over having vaccinations.

Jesus. And other parents get CFS called on them for letting their kids play in a park. What is wrong with this country?? Bang Head

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I see your nutjob and raise you.

I didn't think it was possible to raise that.

I was wrong.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

There isn’t an appropriate icon for this.... picture me tripping over myself trying to simultaneously roll my eyes, face palm and do the “nutjob” hand signal.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
"Your body is yours, but to put something in it or tattoo something on it, is a whole different level," Townsend said. "I am really trying to help people understand that and many are not seeing what I am trying to say.

"They are assuming I am anti-vaccination. That is not my point," she continued. "My point is your body is your own and at what point do we draw the line and say the government should be able to take your body and do with it what they decide?"

Like deciding when you can discontinue an unwanted pregnancy?

Oh, sorry.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
quote:
"Your body is yours, but to put something in it or tattoo something on it, is a whole different level," Townsend said. "I am really trying to help people understand that and many are not seeing what I am trying to say.

"They are assuming I am anti-vaccination. That is not my point," she continued. "My point is your body is your own and at what point do we draw the line and say the government should be able to take your body and do with it what they decide?"

This is an interesting issue. I think most reasoning people would agree that the government should not be able to "do anything they want" with peoples' bodies. That's really not a point of contention. But "if" we collectively decide that people can choose not to do something as sensible as vaccination, and after their choice they can demand $800,000 of treatment to fix the error of their choice, perhaps we should also have a collective decision to allow people to face the consequences of their choice ... the kid gets palliative treatment and is allowed to die. Oh, wait, the kid is innocent. Hmmm. It's complicated.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
quote:

This is an interesting issue. I think most reasoning people would agree that the government should not be able to "do anything they want" with peoples' bodies. That's really not a point of contention. But "if" we collectively decide that people can choose not to do something as sensible as vaccination, and after their choice they can demand $800,000 of treatment to fix the error of their choice, perhaps we should also have a collective decision to allow people to face the consequences of their choice ... the kid gets palliative treatment and is allowed to die. Oh, wait, the kid is innocent. Hmmm. It's complicated.

Maybe slightly complicated with tetanus. Not at all complicated for infectious diseases.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
...and do the “nutjob” hand signal.

What?!? There’s a “nutjob” hand signal?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Crazy

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post